At-home vs. At-work Antivirus Protection

Is it still worth paying for antivirus software for computers on my work network? I manage the IT needs for an 11-person office.

We currently pay $7/year for Kaspersky Anti Virus on each of our 12-14 computers.

I have started using Microsoft Security Essentials on my home PC, and wonder whether we could do the same at the office.

As a for-profic small business, money is not super-tight, but cost savings is appreciated.
posted by bullitt 5 to Technology (7 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

MSE (free) small business licensing is limited to 10 or fewer PCs. You could still install it, but it wouldn't be strictly aboveboard.
posted by Sternmeyer at 8:41 AM on December 18, 2012 [2 favorites]

Do your users have administrator rights on their computers? If so, it's probably best to have something more than the Microsoft SE on there. You could move to the AVG free version, which offers basic protection but little else.

None of these will stop Windows from getting infected without vigilant users or restricted administrator rights, however.
posted by Burhanistan at 8:42 AM on December 18, 2012

I have found this to be a very good resource for comparing AVS packages. They do thorough testing and I think Microsoft SE is in there as well (I can't view the various report PDFs here at work since our browser tech is way behind so I couldn't check). Anyhow, a valuable resource when it comes to evaluating AVS. The annual reports are the most comprehensive and a good starting point but of course they're not the most up-to-date being annual and all that.

Edited: forgot link to AV Comparatives... doh!
posted by Hairy Lobster at 10:23 AM on December 18, 2012 [1 favorite]

MSE + MBAM + Privoxy + AdBlock Plus + web surfing with Google Chrome = recipe for success.

I manage a similarly sized office, and this does the trick for me.
posted by thanotopsis at 11:38 AM on December 18, 2012

Thanks for the feedback! Each of these options give me avenues to explore in looking for a solution. Many thanks.
posted by bullitt 5 at 11:12 AM on December 21, 2012

I didn't realize there was a 10-license limit on MSE, which is good to know.

I am moving toward limited user privileges, particularly for interns we have in the office.

The AV Comparatives site confirms my perception that Kaspersky outperforms AVG, justifying its expense.

I have used MBAM, but did not know about Privoxy. I hadn't considered AdBLock as a security feature before...
posted by bullitt 5 at 11:19 AM on December 21, 2012

I hadn't considered AdBLock as a security feature before...

There are a considerable number of viruses delivered via Flash-based banner advertisements, so blocking ads in an office setting is a pretty smart thing to do.

Privoxy is a good layered solution as it filters all web traffic independent of what browser or product you're using.
posted by thanotopsis at 4:05 PM on December 21, 2012

« Older How much to tip building staff...   |  Has anyone tried raw food life... Newer »