Join 3,556 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

You can dance if you want to, you can legsweep from behind
December 17, 2012 4:29 PM   Subscribe

I liked capoeira a lot, but my wrists did not. Are there any other martial dances? Or schools that take a martial art like tai chi but do something dance-y with it?
posted by curious nu to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (12 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

This might not be quite what you're looking for as it's not a martial art, and I'm not that well versed in capoeira, but look into contact improv. It's on the dance side of things but it's a very physical form. I know some dancers who have pulled from their training in capoeira when they are doing contact so it might be something fun to try out a time or two.
I've gotten some gnarly bruises from it and I feel bad ass afterwards which I assume people feel after doing martial arts.
posted by missriss89 at 4:53 PM on December 17, 2012

Also, you only have to get as physical as your body allows. Can't support weight on your hands? Then don't. There are so many other positions your body can find itself into.
posted by missriss89 at 4:54 PM on December 17, 2012

I am an ex-ballet dancer who will be starting Muay Thai in January. Have you tried any regular martial arts classes? I've found that in some ways, they scratch the same itch.
posted by ChuraChura at 5:00 PM on December 17, 2012

Have you tried any regular martial arts classes?

I'm looking for something that strongly incorporates music and is heavier on the art than the martial (though not necessarily by a lot).
posted by curious nu at 5:08 PM on December 17, 2012

Wushu seems heavier on the art, though it is martial. Not sure how much music comes into it, though.
posted by jquinby at 5:52 PM on December 17, 2012

Seconding contact improv. It depends on the teacher, but many incorporate aikido with yoga, modern dance and other things into an art form with music. It can be really fun.
posted by mosessis at 6:07 PM on December 17, 2012

Silat, maybe?
posted by mkb at 6:44 PM on December 17, 2012

Wushu is definitely more on the art than the martial, but music doesn't really factor into the actual practice of it. The only time music featured was when they played chintzy Chinese music during our exams, so.
posted by undue influence at 7:03 PM on December 17, 2012

Thirding contact improv. So, so fun.
posted by Specklet at 7:32 PM on December 17, 2012

Not martial, not dance, but even half-heartedly working at yoga will strengthen you all over, including your wrists (the Crow etc).
posted by glasseyes at 8:24 PM on December 17, 2012

Zumba?
posted by zadcat at 9:13 PM on December 17, 2012

From the same franchise that brings you Zumba (above), there are other courses like Body Combat, which uses martial-artsy / self-defense type moves timed to music.

At least in my gym, Body Combat is much more exhausting than Zumba, but I know this also depends on the particular mix of music and the instructor. FWIW, the Zumba group is 95% women and the Body Combat courses are 50/50. Looking further into the offerings you'll find still more that are movement + weights + music, they get pretty intense but will leave your wrists safe.
posted by whatzit at 12:41 AM on December 18, 2012

« Older I have a large number of .doc ...   |  Home project: revamping fence ... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.