Temp Agencies in NYC: Bring resume in or email it?

I live in NYC and would like to temp for the next few months. I was wondering if better results can be had by emailing my resume or physically bringing it into the office of the agency.

Thank you.

PS - This is for non tech/IT positions.
posted by NYC-BB to Work & Money (7 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

Both.
posted by hapax_legomenon at 10:42 PM on December 10, 2012

Yes, seconding both and will add to have multiple copies when you get there for the interview to hand out like candy on halloween. Don't expect they will have a copier that you can use on the spot (which they will have, but better to be able to just hand out a copy).
posted by lampshade at 10:50 PM on December 10, 2012 [2 favorites]

I agree with the above answers. How it worked for me (not in NYC, but I imagine the process is similar) was that I first emailed in my resume, the agency looked at it and then set up an interview time. Then I came in with a hard copy of the resume for the in-person interview where they asked me what I kind of positions I was interested in, the reasons for my interest, etc.

posted by nomongoose at 11:03 PM on December 10, 2012

Nothing beats face time, so yeah, go in and press the flesh.(from a recruiter)
posted by PaulBGoode at 11:42 PM on December 10, 2012

Both. Much easier to remember someone when you've met them.
posted by His thoughts were red thoughts at 2:31 AM on December 11, 2012

Always both. Never go to any appointment without extra copies of your resume. It's almost a guarantee that you will speak to someone who was not given a copy. And, it makes you look prepared and professional.
posted by Thorzdad at 3:16 AM on December 11, 2012

When I worked with recruiters for admin jobs, they wanted the resume in a Word document (so they could make edits, sometimes without telling you; fun going to an interview when you're not sure which resume the interviewer is looking at!). BUT the recruiter who called me about the job I have now had never met me, said he "found my resume in a pile". So, both.
posted by ThePinkSuperhero at 5:29 AM on December 11, 2012 [1 favorite]

« Older Help me discover recent 'Best ...   |  How much fantasy speculative f... Newer »