iPhone 5 to iPhone 4.

Iphone 5 is bricked, what is the fastest/easiest way to temporarily use my old iphone 4 until I can get the 5 replaced? AT&T.
posted by travis08 to Technology (7 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

If you still have the old micro-SIM for your iPhone 4 you might be able to call AT&T and ask them to reactivate it. If they refuse, then you can go to an AT&T store and get a new micro-SIM, pop it in your 4, and be good to go.
posted by spikeleemajortomdickandharryconnickjrmints at 8:59 AM on December 3, 2012

Or you can get something like this, and then just put your current sim in your old phone.
posted by procrastination at 9:01 AM on December 3, 2012

You'll need a sim adapter, which is basically a piece of plastic that goes around the nano sim to make it fit the iPhone 4 micro sim slot. Then it will work fine. If there is an AT&T store nearby they might sell them. You can buy them on eBay for about a dollar. Or you can try to make your own.

Depending on what you mean by bricked, your iPhone 5 can probably be repaired by restoring, unless there's an actual hardware problem.
posted by skewed at 9:02 AM on December 3, 2012

So putting the current sim in the older phone will make it receive calls and data plan without having to even contact AT&T? Then when the 5 gets fixed/replaced I can just switch it back?
posted by travis08 at 9:17 AM on December 3, 2012

Yes, it should work if you are able to switch the sim between the phones and should work when you switch it back. I haven't done this with an iPhone 5, but I have switched on ATT beween a 3s, 4 and 4s with no problems.
posted by procrastination at 9:21 AM on December 3, 2012

Yes, it's just a matter of making the sim fit. The technology is identical, you can literally use scissors to make a nano sim from a regular sim if you're precise enough.
posted by skewed at 9:24 AM on December 3, 2012

Your SIM is your Subscriber Identity Module-- any phone you can run that in will be your AT&T phone. That said, some phones are "Carrier locked," and while I'm not an expert on what that means, it could mean that, say, your ATT SIM will not work in a Carrier locked T-Mob phone.

Other than that, it's as simple as transferring it from phone to phone, which happens to not be completely simple in your case, but simple enough.
posted by Sunburnt at 10:43 AM on December 3, 2012

« Older Tell me to buck up or stop whi...   |  I need advice on how to keep m... Newer »