Help Identify this Climbing Gear Please!

Can anyone help me identify the use of these climbing ropes are? Pictures inside.

Inherited some climbing gear, mostly for outdoors I presume, although I have no idea what it's use is. See pictures

here

(made by black diamond and say 27 kn 0629 on the tag)

here

(I'm assuming this is belaying rope, but it is a lot lighter in weight)

and

here

posted by melizabeth to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (8 answers total)

[I fixed the links in the original post - you're good to go. ]
posted by restless_nomad at 1:29 PM on December 2, 2012

Honestly I wouldn't use any rope of unknown provenance. Someone might have taken a hard fall and compromised it. I think you can recycle climbing rope these days, I'd do that.
posted by fshgrl at 1:31 PM on December 2, 2012 [3 favorites]

First, fshgrl is right: if you don't know how the gear has been used and stored, don't use it for climbing. Recycle it, or reuse it for household projects.

Second, the first photo is of a sling (example); the second is rope but without knowing details there's no way to say what kind (examples); the third is webbing (example).
posted by Forktine at 1:41 PM on December 2, 2012 [1 favorite]

The first and last picture are some webbing and a sling, which are used to make anchors, not used as climbing rope. The middle link looks like climbing rope but I would not use that in a million years.

The rule for nylon or "soft" gear is generally buy it new unless you personally know all of the history, such as if someone took a large fall or the rope and webbing were not stored properly.
posted by ruhroh at 1:46 PM on December 2, 2012

The first one is a present sling. Looks like a double shoulder length spectra runner. (Runner and sling are the same thing).

I can't tell the diameter of the second one but it doesn't look like "climbing rope" like you are thinking of. I don't think it is "belay" rope. It looks like thinner diameter like 7 or 8 mm cord.

The last one is just a length of webbing. Probably 1" wide.

Without getting into too much detail all of these are used for buildings anchors. And nthing everyone else - do NOT use this stuff for climbing. Us it for stuff around the house. It is too sketchy to use gear that isn't purchased new.
posted by fieldtrip at 2:01 PM on December 2, 2012 [1 favorite]

Picture #1 is a Dyneema sling. Those are very strong, very light, and hard to knot (they're slippery). They're also more UV resistant.

Picture #2 is a rope. Ropes generally come in 60 meter lengths. 50 meters used to be a lot more common. That rope looks like it's been cut down to 30 meters or so.

Picture #3 is 1" tubular webbing. That particular webbing is mil-spec, not climb-spec. Mil-spec has a strength of 17kN, climb spec is rated at 19kN. Myself and tons of other climbers use mil-spec all the time.

What you have now is some really sturdy gear for hanging a pinata or making a dog leash, or clothesline, or rope swing. I wouldn't trust my life to any of that gear, for reasons ruhroh mentioned. The sling and webbing combined can be purchased new for about $15. Not worth trusting your life to gear that you don't know the history of. That rope might be fine, or it could be that it's time for it to be retired. It's still incredibly strong, so if you have a use for it other than trusting your life to it, keep it.
posted by spikeleemajortomdickandharryconnickjrmints at 2:01 PM on December 2, 2012 [1 favorite]

I'd be more likely to use that rope as a clothes line than a climbing rope.
posted by foodgeek at 2:47 PM on December 2, 2012

Thanks everyone! This stuff will be great for hanging up my hammock ;)
posted by melizabeth at 2:54 PM on December 2, 2012

« Older How do you edit writing writte...   |  What's this humorous SF myster... Newer »