Slow Medicine and Japanese Movie Title

What is the title of the Japanese movie that Dr Dennis McCullough, M.D., writes about in his article on Slow Medicine. he wrote in the first para:

"I often think about a Japanese film I saw years ago. It tells the story of three generations living in extreme poverty on a remote northerly island that afforded its residents neither doctors nor anything beyond the simplest folk remedies. Life was hard. Food was scarce. When an aging grandmother recognized it was her time to die, she broke her teeth with a stone so there could be no arguing about her eating the family's food. Reluctantly, inexorably, the old woman weakened. Finally, her loving and dutiful son was forced to undertake the community's arduous tradition of carrying his mother on his back to the top of a steep and holymountain, where she would be laid out with other frail elders to die a peaceful death by falling asleep in the freezing snow.
The mountain climb was long and difficult. The son's balance, strength, and grip occasionally failed. Engaged in their shared ritual, parent and child seldom spoke except to acknowledge their mutual trust and the difficulty of their task. "

for those interested, the whole article is here:

GRAND ROUNDS
Slow medicine
By Dennis McCullough, M.D.

Thank you, and have a nice weekend/Sunday
posted by kryptos to Health & Fitness (3 answers total)

The Ballad of Narayama? There are two versions: 1958 and 1983.
posted by Madamina at 5:13 PM on December 1, 2012 [1 favorite]

yes, i think The Ballad of Narayama is it .
thank you so much, madamina
i got my answer in 4 minutes. wow ! :-)
thanks again and have a lovely weekend
posted by kryptos at 6:15 PM on December 1, 2012

(Based on a bunch of folktales about something that apparently never happened, before anyone gets worked up.)
posted by wintersweet at 8:05 PM on December 1, 2012

« Older I just got a Nexus 4. I want t...   |  I have a phantom file on my de... Newer »