Dress Shirts for a Big Dude

Where can I buy dress shirts for a portly man (myself) online?

I am looking to buy some dress shirts to go with a tailor-made suit that fits my rotund frame. I do not, however, want to shell out $145 (price my tailor quoted me) for a tailor-made shirt as well. I'm 5'8", with a 19" neck and 35" sleeve size. I wear a 52" waist but I am significantly rounder (58") at the, uh, widest part of my belly. I bought some shirts from my usual place for big men's clothing.

I typically buy 3XL shirts for my more casual wear (button collar); I got this in 3XL and it fits like a charm, albeit a big long in the sleeves.

However, I got this for a dress shirt with a 19" neck and 34/35" sleeves, and doesn't fit me very well at all. When I button it and sit down, the shirt stretches like crazy and "comes apart" all down the middle (imagine this but on a dude's belly).

Can anyone point me to a place where I can decent dress shirts (upper limit say $70 each) in white and blue on the internets? I could get it altered afterward, obviously. Thanks.
posted by dhens to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (7 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

I've had good luck with King Size Direct.
posted by mephron at 10:56 PM on November 29, 2012

Indochino has made-to-measure custom-fit shirts for as low as $79. Still a bit pricey, but they fit beautifully right out of the box, and their suits are great too.
posted by disillusioned at 11:03 PM on November 29, 2012 [1 favorite]

disillusioned: Thanks, I'll have to look at that.

I am still open to other suggestions, too!
posted by dhens at 11:15 PM on November 29, 2012

I've gotten some odd things (like black broadcloth wing collar shirts) made for less than indociono by fitcustomshirts.com. You measure yourself and then their robots make it to order.

I think it's the future of clothing. They make whatever you want in two weeks!
posted by overhauser at 11:26 PM on November 29, 2012 [1 favorite]

I've had good luck with ordering custom made shirts online from Modern Tailor. They have a $20 deal for new customers which is pretty dang hard to beat.
posted by lazywhinerkid at 10:48 AM on November 30, 2012 [1 favorite]

TM Lewin sells shirts up to size 19" neck in button cuffs and up to 20" in double cuffs. They regularly have great sales (5 for $160 right now!). The quality is pretty good, I think. They only sell one sleeve length with the bigger shirts but will adjust that for $15/ea (or take it to your own tailor).

Lands End is another option.
posted by mullacc at 1:43 PM on November 30, 2012

overhauser: Shirts ordered this morning (w/rush delivery, as I hopefully have some job interviews coming up)!
posted by dhens at 9:25 AM on December 3, 2012

« Older We are lucky enough to have a ...   |  Help me find a catchy name for... Newer »