What is the font from this campaign ad?

What is the font in the red circle from this campaign ad?
posted by You Guys Like 2 Party? to Writing & Language (10 answers total)

Going by the relative weights of the horizontal and vertical strokes, it's a more normal-looking font that was compressed horizontally. Maybe something simple like Helvetica compressed to 1/2 its normal width.
posted by scose at 8:53 PM on November 28, 2012 [2 favorites]

My guess is going to be that it's the font Arial Narrow, with the kerning tracked in a whole bunch, along with the horizontal scale reduced to something like 75% of normal.
posted by blacktshirtandjeans at 9:36 PM on November 28, 2012

WhatFont is great. Copy the pic to your computer then upload it to this site and it will tell you what font it is.
posted by Mertonian at 11:29 PM on November 28, 2012

It's certainly not Arial - the tail on the R is more akin to Helvetica. That'd be my guess, because it's so ubiquitous, but I'm certainly not an expert.
posted by Ted Maul at 1:33 AM on November 29, 2012

Here's a stretched version that makes the font look more normal.
posted by burnmp3s at 5:28 AM on November 29, 2012

It's Helvetica/Helvetica Neue Condensed that has been subjected to an additional negative horizontal scaling of approx. 58%.
posted by Thorzdad at 6:12 AM on November 29, 2012 [1 favorite]

Back when in did TV ads legal mandatories like that had to be a certain height and stay on the screen a certain amount of time. Since there is a lot of legal copy to show they'd use a narrow typeface and then stretch it to meet the legal size to squeeze more words on the screen. My guess is it is a bastardized version of Helvetia Narrow.
posted by birdherder at 6:13 AM on November 29, 2012

It looks more like a condensed version of Univers than Helvetica. Look at the G especially.

That being said, it is not Univers. The J and 2 are not quite right, and the M has very slightly angled legs. There are a lot of similar typefaces and I can't tell which this is from the sample given.
posted by stopgap at 6:19 AM on November 29, 2012

On the other hand, if the G and M issues I mentioned are just artifacts due to the terrible resolution on TV, then the other letters do point to Helvetica.
posted by stopgap at 6:23 AM on November 29, 2012

I did. The G in the image, to my eyes, has a descender, as does the G in Helvetica. I set the entire thing using Helvetica Neue Condensed in Illustrator and it all matches-up.
posted by Thorzdad at 7:00 AM on November 29, 2012

« Older I listen to a lot of podcasts ...   |  Do you think the same person w... Newer »