Join 3,512 readers in helping fund MetaFilter (Hide)

How to restore iPhone from backup that iTunes says is "corrupt or not compatible with the iPhone that is being restored"?
November 25, 2012 12:44 PM   Subscribe

I have attempted to setup a new iPhone from a backup I made this morning. When I attempt to do so, I receive the error, "iTunes could not restore the iPhone because the backup was corrupt or not compatible with the iPhone that is being restored".

As a continuation of this AskMeFi, I finally broke down today and went to see the Geniuses about my battery life issue. A hardware issue with the battery was confirmed, and I received a new iPhone 4S. The old iPhone was also a 4S.

Upon returning home, I attempted to restore the new iPhone from the old iPhone's backup and received the error stated in my question. I can think of two possible causes:

1. The old iPhone was running iOS 5.1.1 and the replacement is running 6.0 out of the box.
2. My old iPhone was jailbroken.

I would like to think that it is the first potential cause because my understanding is that iPhone backups do not backup the firmware. Luckily, I have a iCloud backup that is about a month old, and that seems to be working fine.

Ideally, I would like to get my phone back to the state of the last backup, but failing that, I would appreciate recommendations for iPhone backup extractors. There seem to be several and I am unsure which one would be the best to use. Freeware is preferable, but I do not mind paying if that is really what is needed. As it happens, I am pretty good about backups and transferring photos from the phone to external storage, so I am not really out any irreplaceable data. Mostly, I am interested in recovering photos and videos from my Camera+ app that I had not transferred to my Camera Roll, so solutions for recovering app data would be key. Could anyone please advise? I have done some Googling this afternoon but haven't hit pay dirt yet, and thus I appeal to the hive mind. Thank you very much.
posted by Tanizaki to Technology (1 answer total)

I bought and installed "iPhone Backup Extractor" today for more or less the same reason. It's really simple and worked fine for exporting my contacts.

There's a trial. If you install it, make sure to choose not to install any toolbars during setup. I remember a greyed-out radio button I had to click to make that happen. Also, the trial won't extract more than 4 contacts.
posted by Pruitt-Igoe at 11:54 PM on May 30, 2013

« Older Have you seen (within the last...   |  Are there any hosted publishin... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.