What is it?

What is this seed/fruit/nut, found at low elevation in northern California? The two pieces on the left are halves; they came out of the rind pieces at the top right. The smaller thing at lower right is a whole one, without rind. They are very firm, like an apple or more so, and the inside has no strong taste or smell.
posted by bricoleur to Science & Nature (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

It's a chestnut! California buckeye.
posted by lokta at 6:29 PM on November 24, 2012 [3 favorites]

Yup, Chestnut!
posted by cecic at 6:33 PM on November 24, 2012

um, also poisonous when raw (1, 2) but hopefully you didn't ingest 'sufficient quantities'
posted by lokta at 6:35 PM on November 24, 2012

Yup, that's a chestnut!
posted by gingerbeer at 7:02 PM on November 24, 2012

Thank you! No, I did not ingest anything like sufficient quantities, just put my tongue to it. Which allowed me to entertain the notion, as we continued the hike, that it might be hallucinogenic, but alas the placebo effect was not strong enough.
posted by bricoleur at 8:22 PM on November 24, 2012 [1 favorite]

« Older TolkienFilter: What happened t...   |  Our dog killed a raccoon last ... Newer »