Documentaries on Art/Artists and Innovation

Please recommend some documentaries online on art, artists (of any/all kinds) and innovation (in a wider sense, perhaps especially including technological innovation and entrepreneurship) that I can show to a class.

Short clips/excerpts are fine - this is for a 30 minute segment in an undergrad class that I help teach. Interviews with famous artists/innovators (e.g. Orson Welles, Jackson Pollock etc.) are fine too

Thanks very much for any tips!
posted by zresearch to Media & Arts (7 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Check out Art21.
posted by gregr at 9:13 PM on November 23, 2012 [2 favorites]

there's ira glass on storytelling, and he has really great words of wisdom for anyone who does creative work. the whole thing is great but i think the part about creative work more generally is in part 3 of 4.
posted by iahtl at 9:31 PM on November 23, 2012

Triumph of the Nerds
posted by rhizome at 9:49 PM on November 23, 2012

You might want to consider Eames: The Architect & The Painter for a bit of mid-century stuff.

Also, you might consider Claude Debussy's Pianistic Vision, which should be introduced with The Art of Noise's The Seduction of Claude Debussy

I know there are a bunch of Walt Disney documentaries some hagiographic, some less so. I can't tell you which one to look at. Walt basically created Feature Animation. Walt y El Groupo is fascinating, but may not be on track

The Filth and The Fury is a great snapshot of punk rock innovators (better, IMHO, than The Great Rock 'n' Roll Swindle).
posted by Mad_Carew at 9:52 PM on November 23, 2012

You might find some leads from Open Culture here and here (scroll down to the "Documentaries" section).
posted by Rykey at 3:36 AM on November 24, 2012

Focus Forward is exactly what you need. It's a series of 30 short documentaries about innovators and innovation.
posted by nathancaswell at 3:57 AM on November 24, 2012

Films about creative people are pretty much my favourite thing. Here are some great ones that I think fit your criteria (many of them are on NetFlix):

Bill Cunningham New York
I Am Trying To Break Your Heart: A Film About Wilco (Sam Jones)
Indie Game: The Movie
Manufactured Landscapes (by Jennifer Baichwal, about Ed Burtynsky)
Notebook on Cities and Clothes (by Wim Wenders, about Yohji Yamamoto)
Rivers and Tides (about Andy Goldsworthy)
Ryan (by Chris Landreth, about Ryan Larkin)
posted by oulipian at 9:20 PM on November 28, 2012

« Older Can I still use a consumer pre...   |  Hello French brothers and sist... Newer »