pander to me

We need a new TV / home entertainment setup. Hoping for specific product recommendations.

We are moving to a new house and need a new TV setup. First, we need a new TV. A not-so-big TV probably. Say 36". We will have over the air TV. We watch DVDs and need a new DVD player one with Blue-Ray. Watch Netflix now, so would like to be able to do that too. We might play games on the TV too.

We also need a new stereo system which would be able to play digital music, radio and internet radio. I assume there is a magical device where all the sound goes into? The house has speaker wires in the kitchen, family room and patio.

I am hoping for specific product recommendations for stuff that will all work together. Let me know if there is any sort of device I dont realize I need.
posted by shothotbot to Technology (3 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

I love my Roku. Netflix and Hulu Plus on that thing and I'm good to go. It can do Pandora as well as some other music based things. A lot of newer TVs have that sort of thing built in now so you might be able to skip the extra box. But one thing I really love about the Roku is the Android app which lets me lose the remote and still have things work.

I was also considering a Boxee box. It would be nice to have some of the extra things that opens up, like emulation and tricking Hulu into playing things it doesn't have the rights to play except on a computer.

A Wii/Wii U can play Netflix as well, and has the games part covered. If you're willing to hack then I know the Wii can play DVDs. If the Wii U can't then it's just a matter of time before someone discovers how to make it work.
posted by theichibun at 8:57 PM on November 18, 2012

I'll offer a decision tree rather than specific recommendations...

First, we need a new TV.

1) Go to newegg. Navigate to electronics, then to tvs, then open tabs for led tv and lcd tv.
2) In each of those tabs, open a "power search" and input a price range you like, and a set of screen sizes you like. Do the search.
3) Sort by best rating. Grab one of them w/ at least a 4-star average.

Me, I'd suggest not considering anything less than full hd (1920x1080), because you can get into them cheap and most of the "720p" ones are really a weirdo computer resolution that doesn't scale cleanly, but I suspect you don't give a fuck. If you don't, then just grab any of them. Seriously. I expect that if you put all of the tvs in your price range w/ at least 4-star averages on little bits of paper and pull one out of a hat, you will be satisfied with the outcome.

We watch DVDs and need a new DVD player one with Blue-Ray. Watch Netflix now, so would like to be able to do that too. We might play games on the TV too.

PS3. There are pros and cons to different blah blah techspeak blah, but just get a ps3 and be done with it.

We also need a new stereo system which would be able to play digital music, radio and internet radio. I assume there is a magical device where all the sound goes into?

It's called a receiver. There are about nine billion out there, they'll run you $200-500. Here are the features you want:

(1) Shitloads of HDMI in. At least 4.
(2) If you have other sources that don't have hdmi out (or something it can convert to like dvi), then you also want a receiver that does video conversion *output through hdmi*.

Two at the top of newegg's ratings charts are a Yamaha 373 and a Pioneer 10something. Both of them are in that price range. Both of them have a metric crapton of other features, most of which you will never use and do not care about. Go somewhere and fiddle with the remote controls and get the one you like best.

Actual advice: ***NOT*** a home theater in a box. You're paying more than you have to for those components, and they're prone to using dumbass proprietary connectors so you can't upgrade or replace bits if they break.

stuff that will all work together

You aren't going to find stuff that doesn't work together. Inputs and outputs had become highly standardized even before then, but hdmi really accelerated this. You just plug the hdmi out from the whatever into the hdmi ins on the receiver, run an hdmi out from the receiver to an hdmi in on the tv, and you're done.
posted by ROU_Xenophobe at 9:32 PM on November 18, 2012 [1 favorite]

I would highly recommend checking out The Wirecutter. That should answer all of your questions and save you some money.
posted by cnc at 1:26 PM on November 19, 2012

« Older It's time to switch my kids fr...   |  Can I know in advance when a t... Newer »