Can you help me (a designer) learn to wrangle data?
November 9, 2012 6:38 AM Subscribe
Data sets, Aggs and Smushes, oh my! Can you help me (a designer) learn to wrangle data?
posted by halseyaa to Technology (5 answers total) 8 users marked this as a favorite
I have a UX design background and often work with engineers to develop interfaces for handling content sourced from databases. It would greatly help my work as well as interest me, if I could learn some basic skills for working with data. To get started I plan on working with some public data sets available as practice, but where should I start?
I want to be able to:
• Better understand what a database actually is; terms I want to investigate are "database" vs "data set", "aggregation", what is technically happening during "data smushing", etc.
• Learn how to query
• Learn how to pull parts of these data sets both into open source visualization software and into interfaces I create
I am looking for:
• technology/software recommendations
• a few interesting public data sources that are simple enough to start working with
• learning resources that assume no previous engineering knowledge (other than basic front end web dev)