Help A Hurrican Sandy Victim Watch Rachel Maddow on Election Night!

Is there an MSNBC "feed" on the internet? Hurricane Sandy Time-Warner cable victim needs her Rachel fix on Election Night!

Because of the hurricane, my Time Warner cable is out (I am in the East Village, NYC). Thank god that I use Verizon DSL (never thought I'd utter those words) instead of Time Warner for internet, because that's now working so I am getting pretty good internet access.

Is there any way to get a fix of MSNBC tonight on my computer? I do have a tiny TV with antenna that picks up Channel 13, PBS, so all is not completely lost as far as decent election coverage goes. But I am wondering if I can pick up MSNBC on the internet somehow.

When I go to MSNBC.com it redirects to NBC news. com. There is no separate MSNBC website. There is, of course, Rachel Maddow's page but that is not a TV stream.

If I can't get MSNBC, is there any other internet stream I might be interested in tonight?

Any help appreciated. Thanks.
posted by DMelanogaster to Computers & Internet (10 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

The full show is available as video podcast nightly, usually 1-2 hrs after show completion. I use Downcast to download and watch the next day on my iPad, but i expect you can use most any podcast app to subscribe and download.

Also too, maybe send an email to Rachel herself and see if she has any ideas? Someone on her staff may have a solution waiting just for this situation.

Yes, total fan girl here
posted by tigerjade at 5:10 AM on November 6, 2012

I was horrified to find that the cable news channels don't have streams myself. The closest I could find was that CNN would grace us with their stream IF you already subscribed to cable, and were willing to give them your account number. Except for Comcast subscribers, who weren't eligible. I seriously don't understand why they are trying to stop people from seeing their product.

Anyway, yeah, I'd send that email to Maddow's people. You may not get a useful answer, but it will be another voice asking for their content.
posted by gjc at 5:15 AM on November 6, 2012

If you have an Xbox 360 and the proper accounts, it looks as though Xbox Live will be streaming NBC's coverage.
posted by Keter at 6:39 AM on November 6, 2012

Check MSNBC's live stream feeds.
posted by Burhanistan at 6:46 AM on November 6, 2012 [2 favorites]

NBCnews.com and NBC's iPhone app will have live streaming coverage of (presumably) the NBC broadcast feed as of 7pm eastern. (link)
posted by modernnomad at 8:31 AM on November 6, 2012

Sometimes MSNBC streams appear briefly on Ustream for important events like this, although I don't believe they're officially sanctioned.
posted by sharkfu at 8:47 AM on November 6, 2012

I received this link from someone in MeMail, and it works!!
posted by DMelanogaster at 10:06 AM on November 6, 2012

In years past, at around 7 or so, NBC News's home page displayed a huge "WATCH NOW LIVE COVERAGE OF ELECTION RETURNS" right at the top. I suspect they'll do the same thing, although you may have to prove you have cable, since everybody seems to be doing that now.
posted by General Malaise at 1:39 PM on November 6, 2012

They must be turning it on and off depending on ... something? Because I looked like heck and couldn't find the page Burhanistan linked (and it didn't play anything this morning for me).
posted by gjc at 2:18 PM on November 6, 2012

The link I posted above now wants me to PAY.

I tried to do CNN live, but they do not support Time Warner.

grrrrr.
posted by DMelanogaster at 3:40 PM on November 6, 2012

« Older What's with the language in Sp...   |  Who were the people first resp... Newer »