She's been so awesome!

Gift ideas please for my son's Physical Therapist!

Son had sports-related ACL surgery last summer. PT has been meeting with us first weekly, then bi-weekly, since July. She is awesome and I want to get her a gift. Our appointments stop 11/17.
Short backstory: Most visits I have been able to bring something from my garden or kitchen to her. She seems to appreciate them while at the same time is a little "meh", essentially not knowing what to do with things to use (like cucumbers), and claiming "no kitchen knowledge" when given cookies/cake.
She has a spouse and child (girl) with one (boy) on the way.

I'd like to give her a gift for being an awesome PT. Is there a perfect PT gift? If not, help me suss whether a good idea to give a cookbook or the obvious baby gift card/diapers or what. I don't want to push the Martha Stewart thing, it just happened that I was bringing her stuff and she seemed a little interested in making things.

Specific ideas/links will help me most. Thanks in advance!
posted by bebrave! to Grab Bag (10 answers total)

My son's OT is an angel, and I therefore make a point of giving her expensive chocolate, which I believe is the proper food of angels. (In fact, pediatric OTs and PTs are the only angels I believe in.)
posted by BlueJae at 6:16 PM on November 5, 2012

I think it's unusual to bring your PT a gift every appointment. I've been going to OT/PT for years with one of my kids and spent a lot of time in the waiting room, and also gone on many appointments do a different PT for myself; I don't think I've ever seen anyone bring in a gift. Maybe once someone brought cupcakes, on a birthday?

So if you do give her one last present -- and I agree expensive chocolate is appropriate -- make it a small one. You've already gone above and beyond and possibly into the realm of awkwardness.
posted by The corpse in the library at 8:42 PM on November 5, 2012

My aunt is a physical therapist and has received tons of things over the years--badge ID clip necklaces from Brighton and Vera Bradley, gift certificates to scrubs retailers (her preferred scrubs come from Wal-Mart, though), and living plants seem to be her favorite things to receive. She also gets food and flowers--sometimes she ends up tossing the food or giving it away because it's not something she really cares for.
posted by xyzzy at 8:47 PM on November 5, 2012

I'm confused between you wanting to give her a cookbook or the like and her being confused as to what to do with what you've brought her, especially about the "meh" part... maybe I'm just reading it weird, I dunno, but if she's "meh" about it, I wouldn't keep giving more cooking stuff.

I think a good sort of catch-all gift is appropriate since it seems you don't know too much about her personal tastes or interests (not that that is to be expected for you to). As others mentioned, expensive chocolates, a plant, a nice candle, something along those lines. I agree with the corpse (never thought I'd write that out...) that this may have gone into awkward territory, so keep it simple, but you'd have a better read on that being a possibility or probability than a bunch of strangers on the Internet. :)
posted by jorlyfish at 8:51 PM on November 5, 2012

PTs use their hands a lot. Maybe a nice hand creme set?
posted by 1smartcookie at 9:12 PM on November 5, 2012 [1 favorite]

I think writing a nice letter to her manager, singing her praises would be the best gift. Where I had physical therapy, it was a tradition to bring in a baked good on your last visit. I bought macarons and they were a hit.
posted by dottiechang at 12:48 AM on November 6, 2012 [2 favorites]

It's not odd to give your PT a gift, but giving them on each visit is a bit over the top. I don't think you should continue with that. A letter to her supervisor (if she has one), posting reviews on sites like yelp, and/or referring your friends and family would be nice ways to show appreciation.
posted by parrot_person at 5:51 AM on November 6, 2012

At the place I go folks bring in cookies or muffins for the entire group since they work as a team. The goodies seem to be a mixed blessing since everyone there is very health conscious. They may eat one cookie if the urge strikes; the rest are offered to the patients.

I suggest a gift certificate to a local nearby healthy food/stuff store or healthy quick meal place (busy working folks with family obligations appreciate that service) or even a gas card.

And, most importantly a note to management and the referring physician stating how much you appreciate the good therapy. (Copy goes to your PT with a personal note included.
posted by mightshould at 5:59 AM on November 6, 2012

Thanks, everyone, for the great responses. I think some good chocolate and a letter to the boss is what I will do.
I agree with the corpse and others that the serial gifts are unusual and could be awkward-inducing, but I don't think awkwardness was induced in this case. At least I hope not! No acquiantance of mine was able to escape the largesse of last summer's garden, and I told her from the get-go to give/throw away whatever she didn't want. She usually asked me how to use/prepare (yes, fresh produce!) and claimed her husband was the family cook. She said more than once that she might try to learn some kitchen basics during her upcoming maternity leave, but admittedly, always in response to receiving a goodie bag. After 8/10 visits it seemed weird not to bring her something (abruptly); with the harvest done it's now cookie season at my house (for reals) so the last 2 visits that's what she got.
Our next and last visit with her is on the 17th. I have already talked her up at the referring physician but I love the idea of more formal (paper) praise that will get her favorable notice.
Thanks again to all!
posted by bebrave! at 8:52 AM on November 6, 2012

A monogrammed canvas tote from LL Bean. These bags are almost indestructible, and a lifesaver to anyone with kids. Monogramming will add a nice touch. I recommend the medium size.
posted by invisible ink at 5:13 PM on November 6, 2012

« Older I'm curious how people hire em...   |  Help me be an informed voter i... Newer »