Writer seeks not-office Toronto cafe place
October 25, 2012 11:17 AM Subscribe
Help me find a great writing spot in Toronto, with some very specific requirements.
posted by lizifer to Grab Bag (16 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
The mister is a writer, and used to enjoy writing at Linux Caffe on Harbord. Tango Palace Coffee Company on Queen East also met with his approval. We have yet to find another cafe that combines the following qualities:
1. Hubbub, but not loud/live music.
2. Free wifi
3. Good espresso/americanos
4. Hard-backed chairs (not just cushy easy chairs)
5. West of Spadina
6. Relaxed atmosphere (a little cool, a little left of centre, a little "I don't give a damn", but not so crazy busy that he can never get a chair.)
7. NOT a Starbucks, Timothy's, Second Cup, or Coffee Time. Independently run, ideally.
8. Extra billion bonus points for animal protein option on the menu and gluten free baked goods.
Dark Horse on Queen East would have been great were it not for the giant family-style table with stools and the overcrowding and the East-end-ness. He's tried renting an office and the quiet, lack of coffee, and solitude drove him bonkers.
Can you help a poor sad writer find a spot?