Feeling better about myself...
October 24, 2012 6:50 PM Subscribe
Posting for a friend: Feeling unproductive and down, recommend an activity for me to pick up. Requirements within.
posted by dragonfruit to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (24 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite
"I recently broke up with my boyfriend (but don't worry, this is not a break up AskMe), and I have been assigned a tedious and unappealing project at work. As a result, I feel like nothing is really going for me, and when I head home after a day at work, I feel like there's nothing to look forward to.
I'm looking for suggestions of a new hobby/activity to pick up, something to do in the 5 hours or so free time I have in a day. Sadly I'm pretty constrained....
- requires at least some thinking/mental activity, but doesn't have to be heavy. (In the past, activities that have made me feel productive included light programming projects, research a time period/person in depth, etc.)
- some hands on element would be nice. (In the past, have enjoyed origami, building models.)
- would be nice if at the end I have something to show for it, whether something physical, or a new skills I've picked up and can show my friends. (Again, part of the wanting to feel more productive/accomplished. I am willing to work hard at it to improve, but something that requires innate talent that I may/may not have probably won't be good right now...)
- in doors/not too physical. (Some problems with my back, can't do very strenuous activities.)
- does not require internet. (I only have stable internet access on the weekends, so I can download and store on the computer.)
In terms of money and access to material, I would prefer not to spend too much, but thankfully I have a nice paying job and some income set aside for leisure activities, so some spending should be ok. I also live in a large U.S. metropolitan area and have access to whatever comes with that.
Very specific and out-of-the-box/little-known recommendations very much welcome. Thanks!"