October 24, 2012 11:43 AM Subscribe
Recommend an HDTV, late 2012 edition.
posted by Zed to technology (8 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
I'm a CRT-using dinosaur, but I was thinking coming holiday sales might be the time to finally go flat. Viewing distance is around 12 feet (3.6m for people in civilized countries.) Does anyone have any specific models to recommend?
- I figure 1080p, but I'd consider 720p (I know 720p is entirely adequate at these sizes/that distance, but it seems like most things are 1080p anyway.)
- LED backlighting, and I'd really like it to be really backlit with dynamic control for good blacks, not edgelit, but that one seems to be a premium feature that's hard to find.
- High contrast (see above)
- It'll be controlled by an HTPC so I'm thinking a single HDMI or DVI connector is adequate, and I'm not interested in it having a built-in computer or net access or web gewgaws.
- I'm indifferent to whether it has its own speakers
- I'd like a digital tuner (and thus a coax antenna in), but I think that feature is pretty universal.
- 120 Hz? Is it really so much better than 60Hz for playing 24fps video? I haven't been able to figure out if this issue's for real or just a/v elitists gotta elite.
- No interest in 3-d
Are there any significant criteria I'm not thinking about?
I expect to get some freestanding piece of furniture to mount it on so I don't have to worry about the wall supporting it or the cat managing to knock it over.