Adding pins to an image

Looking for software or a website for this specific function: I have an image, a map from several hundred years ago. I'd like to put pins on it, marking addresses of people. Ideally, I'd be able to label these pins with names, and then be able to search through those later on.

I'd like a solution that works for both Windows and Mac computers. Free is, as always, preferred to paid.

This doesn't have to be map-specific at all - any image editor with this functionality will work just fine!
posted by estlin to Computers & Internet (2 answers total) 3 users marked this as a favorite

You used to be able to do this using Google Maps... There's a bunch of info out there, but you might start with MapLib.net (example: Lord of the Rings map).
posted by anaelith at 10:34 AM on October 23, 2012

anaelith, I tried that site out, and it looks like it does exactly what I need it to. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
posted by estlin at 5:07 PM on October 23, 2012 [1 favorite]

« Older I am so overwhelmed and strugg...   |  For months my one-eyed kitty h... Newer »