Finding your people in SF
October 13, 2012 6:47 PM Subscribe
Just moved to SF. What can I do to meet like-minded people and make friends around here?
posted by un petit cadeau to Grab Bag (10 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
Well, uh, like the title says, I just moved to San Francisco -- Cole Valley, to be specific. I don't really know anyone in the city and have loads of free time thanks to my job. As a result I'm admittedly feeling a bit lonely at the moment and prove me wrong, but most people around here don't seem that warm compared to LA, where I moved up here from. How does a single 24-year-old guy find his bearings and (for the lack of a better turn of phrase) "his people" around here?
Things I like (or would like) to do or get involved with:
• hiking and generally being outside
• sitting in coffee shops and reading the afternoon away
• playing board games (e.g. Settlers of Catan, etc.) but I'm not really very good at them (nor am I your stereotypical board-gamer, if that counts for anything)
• I'd like to get into sailing, and while I had my sights set on OCSC in Berkeley, I'm wondering if there'd be any options that are just as good but in the city
• I'd also like to get into volunteering, maybe at an animal shelter somewhere in the city. I've also thought about tutoring underprivileged kids in math or something like that, but I'd have no idea where to even start on there.
• ... I'm open to pretty much anything!
Things I'm not really a fan of:
• loud places, like bars or clubs or live music shows, unless I'm with people I know pretty well, as I'm kinda hard of hearing
With these things in mind, are there specific meetup groups or clubs or scheduled activities that I should seek out? Also, any tips on finding dates in my age range would be helpful too -- is OKC the way to go around here? Anyway, with that said, do your worst, Green! TIA.