What did I just write there?
October 10, 2012 8:01 PM Subscribe
I can barely read my own writing! Help!
posted by electriic to writing & language (13 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
I've always had awful penmanship [I feel ever so sorry for my teachers in school!] and I would really like to improve on it but I'm having difficulty understanding whats wrong. Now I will give you a list of things that may or may not be the problem for ease of reading!
- I write almost exclusively with Pilot G-tec c4. I don't think my writing instrument is a problem. I love this pen very much.
- My grip is maybe a little tighter than usual, but far from the death grip. However it is not exactly correct. It is similar to the image here, but my index finger and thumb are almost parallel to each other (ok theres maybe like a 20 degree angle there but they are much more touchy-feely than in that picture). Also, my index finger is hyperextended much more. I should add that I have loose joints, particularly in my hands, and they all hyperextend and to me that feels "straight" even though it quite clearly is not. If I attempt to keep my index finger straight, either it will hyperextend or my pen sort of falls though to my hand and then my fingers are on the paper; I've tried forcing myself to write "properly" but mostly I end up with giganto letters and awkward spacing and general discomfort.
- Some of my letters are cursive(f,z,l,b,d,h,t?,p,q), some are not (the rest!). But im not consistent. Sort of. suffix -ed will not have a cursive d. door will. I guess thats not too bad but non cursive d looks like an a lowercase a. I do really like my cursive f though.
- My letters blend together (ed, th, are just blended blocks of scribble) and some letters look like other letters (lowercase w looks like co or cu or ca, c and a and u and o are easy to mix up). I slow down but this still happens. When I try to write so neatly I write slower than a snail crawls, hello awkward spacing, line height is just wayy off and its bad bad bad. I need to have a certain quickness to my writing.
- My posture isn't amazing but it's more or less OK. I don't write with my legs behind my head or slouched in very awkward position
Back in high school, I wrote in all caps and that was probably the most legible my writing has been, but for whatever reason I stoppped. I tried it again today and I just found it unbearably slow and for some unknown reason painful (in the elbow?) - nothing about my grip has changed. Writing is only ever painful after I've been writing for nearly 3 hours straight or something.
I just need to improve how it looks so I can actually read my notes that I take. Most are math/science type notes. It helps me tremendously to write them out, even if I do not actually go back to them very often. But it honestly too painful to go back to them a week later because they just look so bad. half the time Im deciphering what I wrote. Apparently others can read my writing, but it doesn't come with great ease or anything - but they can. but what I need is so that I can read it. I'm just not sure what exactly is wrong nor how to go abut fixing it. help!