October 10, 2012 12:32 PM Subscribe
FashionFilter: Help me find an awesome coat. This one on Etsy
is the best one I've found so far, but I hesitate to buy something I can't try on before I buy or return if I don't like. More details inside.
posted by ethidda to shopping (9 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
I have several coats, but they are easy too cumbersome (secondhand rabbit-fur-lined coat fit for Siberia), too light (cute rain jacket), too bright (crimson trenchcoat), or just don't have a hoodie. I end up "stealing" my boyfriend's peacoat. Now that the weather is getting cooler, he wants his peacoat back and I'm trying to find a coat that I like. My ideal coat is:
* Warm enough for the winter (in Seattle, which maybe gets to freezing) and light/small enough to fit into a bag when I'm not wearing it. Double bonus points if it's warm enough for much colder places as well, but that's not strictly necessary. I do run cold though.
* Flattering for my figure (short and curvy, size 6 in jeans). I'm thinking something that flairs out at the hips.
* Above-knee length.
* Has a hoodie. Double bonus points if the hoodie is fur-lined.
* Goes well with dresses and jeans. Dressy and casual.
* Neutral colored.
* Very slightly alternative (steampunk, goth) without being so overtly. I really like double-breasted coats.
* Has pockets for my hands.
* Good quality to last me many years.
Does such a coat exist? Am I already looking at the closest match? I'm open to most price ranges (including low four digits). I'm willing to pay for return shipping if it doesn't work out, but I hesitate to buy the Etsy coat without having seen any of her work in person or having tried out that jacket.