WordPress, where to start?

Can you recommend a good set of tools, books, blog posts, or videos to get into WordPress? I have functional knowledge of HTML and CSS, but most of my experience is a decade out of date.
posted by radiopaste to Computers & Internet (3 answers total) 14 users marked this as a favorite

I'd recommend CSS-Tricks - there are screencasts that deal with WordPress, in addition to articles. He's also got a book called Digging into WordPress (website).

WordPress.tv is another good resource (I like video, I guess).
posted by backwards guitar at 11:48 AM on October 10, 2012

Do you want to do basic things like install Wordpress, add a theme and change settings or do you want to develop your own themes or plugins or other customizations?

Do you know JavaScript? Do you know PHP?
posted by michaelh at 1:36 PM on October 10, 2012

WPBeginner.com as a whole, for obvious reasons. It tends to build posts around specific goals, rather than just have you trying to fit the entire application in your head at once.

WPTuts+ isn't specifically beginner-oriented, but has a similar focus on individual tasks. So once you start getting yourself into "Okay, but now how do I make it do X?" situations, it'll be a good place to rummage.

Digging into WordPress is again task-focused, but a little more technical, in my eyes. They have a book(which does start from the beginning) that's updated pretty continually, so is always conveniently in line with changes in the current WP version, which is nice.
posted by Su at 2:43 PM on October 10, 2012 [1 favorite]

« Older I want to start taking good ca...   |  Can you give me some examples ... Newer »