The Other Eternal Triangle

I'd like to read novels about, or at least involving, mother-in-law/daughter-in-law relationships. Conflict/rivalry preferred, but I'm open. The only one I can think of is "The Wedding Group" by Elizabeth Taylor. (And which I highly recommend.) Any other suggestions?
posted by uans to Media & Arts (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Not a novel, but Hitchcock's The Birds is all about mother-in-law/daughter-in-law conflict.
posted by outlandishmarxist at 4:52 PM on October 8, 2012

A Song of Ice and Fire? Cersei does an impressive job of bullying Sansa Stark, and then has oodles of conflict/rivalry with Margaery Tyrell.
posted by feral_goldfish at 6:09 PM on October 8, 2012

Someone at a Distance, by Dorothy Whipple - tangentially about such a relationship (and a beautiful Persephone volume to boot!).
posted by goo at 7:24 PM on October 8, 2012

Doesn't The Joy Luck Club have one of these relationships in one of the storylines? The whole thing is basically female conflict (including but not limited to rivalry;) I'm pretty sure at least one of the threads is MIL/DIL.
posted by SMPA at 9:36 PM on October 8, 2012

Olive Kittredge
posted by beccaj at 10:49 AM on October 9, 2012

« Older I've been an introvert for a l...   |  Frustrating physical ailment f... Newer »