shall i make this move?
October 7, 2012 7:17 AM Subscribe
finally got a written offer, but now i am really torn:
posted by kingfish to Work & Money (23 answers total)
1. the new company will give 20% increase in base salary but no bonus prospect in '13. so if we look at "all-in" cash comp (base + bonus), there is only about 5% increase (compared with what i got in my current position in '12). don't really know if i will have the same cash comp coming 2013 if i stay put (see #4 below).
2. the 5% increase is almost wiped out if i look at the facts that the new place has no 401K match and there is 20% medical insurance premium increase.
3. the new job also requires me to travel at least 1 week/month, while the current one almost has no travel. i have been traveling for more than 10 years now. so travel is not on the "plus" side of any analysis when comparing two packages...
4. i really like the industry I am in right now: electronic trading to hook up hedge funds with brokers so that they can trade millions shares of whatever. i think it's interesting and exciting. but the company itself is not doing well as it gets most revenue from big banks/brokers which all seem to be in a severe cutting mode. this is the initial reason why i started looking for new jobs.
5. the new company provides medical research and education services. gets most of revenue from big pharmas. at least for an outsider, it seems to be one of the very few industries that is growing these days.
6. as for the new job itself, it's almost identical in every aspect (except the travel of course) to the one i have right now.
i know what i provide here is bit sketchy, but i would really appreciate any ideas and comments to help me reach a decision.