It's all about the kitteeehs
October 6, 2012 5:24 PM Subscribe
Is it time for a kitty? Or two? Am I really ready?
posted by DoubleLune to pets & animals (15 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite
I really want to get a kitty (or two), but I have doubts. So, I know how to care for cats -- I had cats growing up, have adopted from a shelter and generally know the process. I have 2 cats at my parents' house, but don't feel right moving them to my apartment because they are indoor/outdoor and I think they'd be miserable in my studio.
My biggest concern is that they'll have enough space and attention and won't destroy my apartment. So the rest of my thoughts are based on that...
1) I'm in school and working, so I'm not home much. For this reason, I would adopt a pair so they could keep each other company. It's hard to find a sibling pair that fits the rest of my requirements... Right now I think I could make the time to take care of them and have play time, but I'm worried about finals.
2) I have a studio (~~600 sq ft) but since it's all open kitties would have free reign of the place. I'm worried about them trying to get out the front door -- evasion techniques?? Do indoor cats try to get out? I'm used to outdoor cats that want to be let out.
3) I can only think of 1 place for litter boxes -- I know the # of cats +1 rule, but don't see how I can provide this in the space I have. Does it work to only have 1 box for 2 cats?
4) Litter spread. Solutions for litter getting all over the place? I have hardwood floors, and the last time I had the combination of hardwood floors + litter box, litter was everywhere, even with a litter mat.
5) So I am thinking of a sibling / best friend pair because of my amount of time available, they could keep each other company and wear each other out and stay out of trouble (or double trouble!!!). What am I not thinking of? The cats I grew up with were not good friends, just barely tolerated each other.
6) I want cats that will be small as adults -- partially preference, partially the space issue. I'm looking at juvenile / adult cats both for size and personality reasons. Am I on the right track here?
So in summary, should I or shouldn't I? Am I going to be able to provide a good home with the space and time I have without my apartment getting destroyed?