Please help me organize my family reunion
October 4, 2012 5:08 PM Subscribe
I've somehow been tasked with organizing a family reunion for my HUGE family. There could be up to 75 people there if everyone comes with spouses/SOs and kids. I plan large events for work and have done travel events like this (bachelorette parties, ski weekends) for smaller groups, but this is a real challenge for a group this large. Advice?
posted by deliciae to travel & transportation around North Carolina (6 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite
Here are the parameters I have been given:
- A property on or within a short walking distance of an ocean beach
- Most people seem to prefer the idea of going to North Carolina (most central coastal location to where everyone will be traveling from) though nodes of the group going are in New York (most people here), Florida, Texas, and Illinois. One family will come from Amsterdam.
- If every family/couple gets their own room (most of which will need to accommodate 2 adults & a couple of kids) I will need about 25 rooms.
- There will be about 7 seniors with varying degrees of mobility, 18 couples in their 30's-40's, 5 teenagers between 13-19, and about 17 little ones between the ages of 10-3.
- Most people would prefer houses with kitchens and teevees over a hotel.
- They want an ocean beach with good waves for daytime swimming and where we can build bonfires at night.
- We're looking at mid-July 2013. I don't want it to cost a fortune, but we are all pretty realistic about what it will run with being high season at the beach.
I have organized dozens of projects and hundreds of people without being daunted but dang, this one is challenging! Anyone who's done this before who can offer some general advice? And anyone who can suggest any specific areas of North Carolina I should target? I've never even been there, so I am clueless about it.