Please help me organize my entire life.
October 2, 2012 8:30 AM Subscribe
Launching a freelance career, starting a training program and planning a wedding. Please help me get organized before my life spins out of control.
posted by ladybird to grab bag (3 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite
So I have a lot on my plate at the moment. I've gone freelance and have one client that requires 40 hrs/wk of work and one client that requires a few hours a month. I am starting a training program that will require 10 hrs/wk of study. OH and YAY, I'm getting married next year and have a wedding to plan.
I work from home, in a small studio apartment, which faces a massive construction site. I've always had problems staying focused during the day, and the unbelievable noise and activity outside is making the problem worse. Noise canceling headphones help, but only somewhat. I'm trying to get a proper workspace situation set up, because at the moment I'm just working at my dining room table. And because I just moved in, there are still lots of things to be done around the apartment, which makes it doubly hard for me to focus on my school/work/wedding planning when there's so many things around the place that need to be done. I keep jumping from task to task without anything ever really getting completed. I barely ever leave my house, yet I feel like nothing ever gets done.
I'm really struggling and feeling very overwhelmed. My partner is supportive, but he works a stressful full-time job and juggles multiple priorities too.
My biggest problems:
- Keeping up with and prioritizing my long list of to-dos
- Dealing with long blocks of unstructured time
- Staying focused during the day
Tasks I have:
- Studying & completing assignments
- Writing & research
- Finishing the organization of the apartment
- Wedding planning
The hardware tools I have to work with:
- Laptop PC
The software tools I'm using:
- Remember the Milk (though I basically haven't found it any more useful than keeping a list on a piece of paper - maybe I'm missing something?)
- Excel spreadsheets for tracking my freelance invoicing / spending
Other things I have:
- A nice lady who cleans my apartment once a week
What I'm asking for:
- Any tools, websites, apps or other software that helps me stay organized with tasks
- Suggestions for how to plan my days to the best advantage
- Basically any other advice on how to juggle multiple massive time-sucking priorities.