What are some popular grocery store books in Germany?

Can you suggest any German language, German originated, modern novel series for light reading?

I'm asking on behalf of a friend who is looking for the German equivalent of book series' that are popular, or have been recently popular, in the United States. Examples of this include Harry Potter, The Da Vinci Code, The Hunger Games, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc. The series needs to be originally written in German and popular in Germany. Additionally, the writing should be somewhat light in its verbiage without the story being too juvenile.

I've read the other AskMeFi question that is similar to this but I want this question to just focus on discussing works that are popular and somewhat in serial. Thanks
posted by coolxcool=rad to Writing & Language (8 answers total) 11 users marked this as a favorite

You could go to amazon.de and take a look at the bestseller lists for various categories. Sebastian Fitzek writes very popular thrillers (he knocked the Da Vinci Code off the top spot a few years ago).
posted by MighstAllCruckingFighty at 12:56 AM on September 30, 2012

It isn't exactly a series, but everything by Frank Schätzing can be classified as described. I would liken him to Michael Crichton although he was also compared to Dan Brown.

And then there is the "Tintenwelt"-trilogy by Cornelia Funke von Dressler ("Tintenherz" / "Tintenblut" / "Tintentod")
posted by KMB at 2:34 AM on September 30, 2012

I was going to suggest the Tintenwelt-trilogy also!
posted by Skybly at 4:44 AM on September 30, 2012

Maybe die klavierspielerin/The piano teacher?
posted by fastlove at 6:36 AM on September 30, 2012

There's the graphic novel series on the history of Berlin. The first one is called Berlin: Steinerne Stadt
posted by outlandishmarxist at 7:59 AM on September 30, 2012

outlandishmarxist, Jason Lutes' Berlin graphic novel series about the Weimar era is indeed great, but was unfortunately originally written in English. Having said that, I read the first volume in English and the second in German, and it worked just fine in both languages. And, fastlove, I would not recommend Jelinek's "Die Klavierspielerin" for light reading, unless you're, uh, in hell. Her take on human relationships is not for the faint of heart.

Like this shitty post, in which I pick on two novels and don't even contribute anything original. :-P Um, maybe some graphic novels by Ralph König? Hi-LAR-ious!
posted by ariel_caliban at 8:33 AM on September 30, 2012

Ariel your post brought me to another suggestion: Walter Moers. He has a series of novels about the world of "Zamonien" starting with "Die 13½ Leben des Käpt’n Blaubär". It might border on the juvenile.
posted by KMB at 8:45 AM on September 30, 2012

Possibly not as popular now as it was then, but a few years ago a lot of my friends in Germany were reading the Wanderhure series by Iny Lorentz - historical fiction, pretty light reading.
posted by phisbe at 11:57 AM on September 30, 2012

« Older What excites YOU about your re...   |  help me make a soup using what... Newer »