Looking for online bankruptcy debtor education recommendations.

Can you recommend a specific online bankruptcy debtor education provider? There are a billion and the ones I've looked at don't fill me with calm reassurance.

I need to do the standard pre-bankruptcy and mid-bankruptcy debtor education program for Chapter 13 Bankruptcy in the US. I've consulted the Department of Justice's official approved list and the nearest approved in-person location is a good hour drive away, so I'd really prefer an online option. My bankruptcy attorney doesn't have an online recommendation to give, so I'm asking you Hive Mind.

The sites that I have looked at have been heavy on the "used car salesman" vibe and not enough "company who wants to help you competently complete a bankruptcy" vibe. I have yet to come across one that I feel comfortable trusting my personal info to. And many look like their web developers were using technology from the 1800's. Again not confidence inspiring.
posted by anonymous to Work & Money (2 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

IAAL, IANABL, IANYL. I did a couple of simple bankruptcies through a pro-bono clinic, and my clients all used either online or phone-based education. As far as I know, it's just a formality: you have to listen to a lecture or read a brochure, then answer questions to prove you weren't sleeping or browsing animated cat GIFs when you were supposed to be getting important information about "don't spend more than you make."

AFAICT, the online providers are in it for the $20 or $50 or whatever they charge, and not because they particularly want to help you get your financial life in order.

If I was you, I'd just pick the cheapest one off the approved list and get it over with.

Good luck.
posted by spacewrench at 5:49 PM on September 28, 2012

Not a lawyer, have worked with a lot of bankruptcy-relaetd stuff as a volunteer, must agree: This is a formality. They're pretty much all the same crap. You're not really going to learn anything from it. If you want to learn stuff about how to handle your finances in general, look for some books by Dave Ramsey and Suze Orman and take a lot of it with a grain of salt. Find the cheapest online thing you can that'll work where you are. This isn't going to help you complete your bankruptcy, that's what your attorney is for.

As part of a volunteer thing I did, several of us actually went through one of the programs just to see what it was like, and pretty much all of the questions were obvious and the answers even more obvious. (Don't spend more than you earn! Try cooking at home! Keep a budget!) So, yeah. It's really not useful stuff, don't sweat it too much.
posted by gracedissolved at 9:03 PM on September 28, 2012

« Older I love all historical mysterie...   |  Recommendations for alternativ... Newer »