Online contact management panacea, where are you?
September 25, 2012 1:20 PM Subscribe
Where should I be managing my online contacts so that I can use them on my phone easily and how can I get there from the mess I have right now?
posted by cmm to computers & internet (5 answers total)
Why is managing contacts such a mess?
My personal phone is polluted with garbage put there by Facebook integration plus Gmail sync plus my work blackberry syncing to Gmail contacts plus stuff I put into the phone on my own. I am getting a new phone and want to move what I have off my old phone (ancient Palm Pixi) to a new phone (iPhone 4). Yes, I'm a trend setter.
I can get contacts off the Pixi, but on the iPhone when I hook up gmail sync, if I turn on contacts sync, that gets me all my gmail contacts. Then if I import the Pixi contacts, I have dupes.
Plus none of that has addresses which I only have in Windows Addressbook of all places because that's where we put them when we did wedding invitations.
Where is the right place to store contacts so that I can:
1) Have a web-accessible online rolodex so I can look things up easily
2) Modify or add contacts on my phone and the world stays in sync
3) Easily merge in all the data sources I have and clean them up
Bonus points if I can:
1) Have Facebook profile pictures on my phone for contacts that have Facebook
2) Share effortlessly with my wife so that our rolodex is shared and goes to each of our phones
I'm fine paying for things. I feel dumb for not knowing the answer.