Did Rodney Dangerfield call his depression "the monster" ever

I seem to recall reading Rodney Dangerfield calling his depression "the monster," but now I can't find any reference to that fact. Did I make it up? Was it some other name? Some other comedian? Or did I imagine the whole thing?
posted by Busoni to Society & Culture (3 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

I thought it was called "the Heaviness".

From No Respect:

“My life is nothing but pressure. All pressure. This pressure is like a heaviness. It’s always on top of me, this heaviness. It’s always there since I’m a kid. Other people wake up in the morning, ‘A new day! Ah, up and at ’em!’ I wake up, the heaviness is waiting for me nice. Sometimes I even talk to it. I say [adopts cheerful voice] ‘Hi, heaviness!’ and the heaviness looks back at me, [in an ominous growl] ‘Today you’re gonna get it good. You’ll be drinking early today.’”—Rodney Dangerfield, No Respect
posted by Wild_Eep at 10:45 AM on September 23, 2012 [8 favorites]

This could very well be it, thanks.
posted by Busoni at 10:54 AM on September 23, 2012

Pretty sure this is where I found it: http://www.avclub.com/articles/profoundest-piece-of-comedy,68687/, I was just searching for "site:avclub.com dangerfield monster" or "site:avclub.com dangerfield darkness" but I kept getting Lost links. Thanks
posted by Busoni at 10:55 AM on September 23, 2012

« Older What coffee-tableish books wou...   |  I want to tour Jamaica and lea... Newer »