Can I sync without updating?

I have a really stupid iPhone iOS update question. So dumb I feel embarrassed about it. I really want to avoid updating to iOS 6, but I need to get some pictures from my phone onto my computer and sync my address book. But can I plug the phone in and sync without updating automatically?

I rarely hook my phone up to my computer, and can't remember what happened the last time there was an iOS update- i.e. whether it was automatic or if I was asked if I wanted to upgrade. If it's automatic, I just won't do it. I know this must sound quite dumb for those who have had I phones for a while, but this is only the second time there's been an update while I've had my phone. Advice greatly appreciated.
posted by foxy_hedgehog to Technology (5 answers total)

Yes--iTunes will prompt you before it downloads and installs the update. You can sync your phone without updating.
posted by dyslexictraveler at 7:09 PM on September 21, 2012 [3 favorites]

^ this is the correct answer (in case you were waiting for 2nd opinions)
posted by ShutterBun at 7:32 PM on September 21, 2012

Yeah, you can sync your phone with updating. I sync my phone once a fortnight or so, and I'm still on iOS 4.
posted by hot soup girl at 7:35 PM on September 21, 2012

Another way to get the pictures from your phone to your computer is to email them to yourself, FYI.
posted by JenMarie at 7:43 PM on September 21, 2012 [3 favorites]

Thanks guys! What a relief. Really appreciate it.
posted by foxy_hedgehog at 8:00 PM on September 21, 2012

« Older Is there a company in the SF B...   |  How can I find a place to rent... Newer »