Skip

Find me a clock
September 21, 2012 1:51 PM   Subscribe

I am looking for a neat-looking clock.

We had this clock on our mantelpiece until it broke recently. Now I keep looking over there to find out what time it is.

Can you suggest a replacement? I prefer a retro or modern look, or at least something that is compatible with that aesthetic. We can't wall-mount it, it has to be sit-on-top and run on batteries. It should be ewasy to read from across the room - either digital or has to have numbers on the face, and large enough to see.

Budget: less than $200.

Thanks!
posted by bq to Home & Garden (10 answers total) 5 users marked this as a favorite

For this kind of thing (practical thing that is also funky looking), I would look at museum stores. MoMa. AIC. MCA.
posted by phunniemee at 2:09 PM on September 21, 2012

The clock tag over at Uncrate might have something that interests you.
posted by backwards guitar at 2:20 PM on September 21, 2012

No chance for AC power? A Nixie-tube clock might fit the bill.
posted by jquinby at 2:29 PM on September 21, 2012

Those tube clocks are awesome, but no power unless we drill through some marble slabs, so, nope. Sad.
posted by bq at 2:46 PM on September 21, 2012

Museum stores are a great idea. This one looks good.
posted by bq at 2:51 PM on September 21, 2012

Lampcycle
posted by Blazecock Pileon at 4:03 PM on September 21, 2012

May I suggest Uncommon Goods? I love them for this sort of thing.
posted by shesbookish at 4:44 PM on September 21, 2012

How about a modern-styled anniversary clock?

You wind it once a year (on your anniversary, hence the name, or on your birthday).
posted by Chocolate Pickle at 5:01 PM on September 21, 2012

Thanks for all the suggestions. My favorite clock is this one which I cannot currently afford.
posted by bq at 5:29 PM on October 22, 2012

For those who care, I figured out that I could attach a clock to the wall after all, and bought this retro one which I am very happy with.
posted by bq at 11:03 PM on December 13, 2012

« Older Can you help me identify a son...   |  How was Mitt Romney able to wi... Newer »
This thread is closed to new comments.