How can I track the space shuttle online today?

Would it be possible to track the flight of the Space Shuttle over the Bay Area today using flightradar24 (or something similar)?
posted by zeoslap to Science & Nature (10 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

Looks like this site can filter by tail number. The two Shuttle Carrier Aircraft are N911NA and N905NA - not sure which one they're using for this particular flight.
posted by backseatpilot at 7:53 AM on September 21, 2012

It looks like N905NA is being used for the Endeavour flight, but apparently tracking is not available. It's listed on FlightAware as NASA905. The latest track is from a few days ago, presumably when the plane flew from CA to FL to pick up the shuttle.
posted by Nothlit at 7:59 AM on September 21, 2012

Cool thanks guys, it's supposed to take off around 8:15 or so, so hopefully one of these trackers kicks in at that point.
posted by zeoslap at 8:12 AM on September 21, 2012

I think the tracks will not be available on FlightAware; I think the planes are blocked for privacy reasons.

The SF Chron has a detailed article with map on the flyover. It's in an hour, better hurry! Oakland airport should be amazing, and the SF waterfront flyby looks encouraging.
posted by Nelson at 8:28 AM on September 21, 2012 [1 favorite]

Here is what looks to be a pretty decent flight path
posted by zeoslap at 8:53 AM on September 21, 2012

I found the Ames Research Center twitter feed: which will be live-tweeting.
posted by bendy at 9:06 AM on September 21, 2012

IT WAS AWESOME! Did you see it?
posted by JimmyJames at 12:08 PM on September 21, 2012

OMG. even Tony Bennett tweeted his awesome picture of the shuttle on twitter!
posted by vespabelle at 12:34 PM on September 21, 2012

pic from the Cali capital area
posted by couchdive at 1:18 PM on September 21, 2012

This is my favorite from the Nasa Ames twitter feed:

http://instagram.com/p/P2LH1Gk40z/
posted by not.so.hip at 1:41 PM on September 21, 2012 [2 favorites]

« Older For those of you that have to,...   |  I am hoping to find an Android... Newer »