Help me get the body I want in 8 weeks

MeFi fitness gurus, point me to the best 8 week fitness plan

Starting in November, I have access to a fairly good gym (mainly used by military personnel) and want to really whip myself in to shape.
I'm 36, 170cm tall, weigh 65kg and have a small waist, DD bust and large hips and saddle-bags.
I currently have a diet I am happy with (vegan, very little alcohol, I rarely eat sweet stuff), and will be running 5K or more five mornings a week, plus walking/hiking or mountain biking most weekends.
So I think diet and cardio are okay. What I am looking for is an 8 week gym routine where I can absolutely 'smash' myself into shape: trim the lower body flab, perhaps flatten the tummy a bit and add good upper-body definition. I would want to go really hard for that 8 weeks (spending hours in the gym if need be) then maintain it afterwards. I am not new to gym-going, but am finding it hard to find a good, intense routine on the internet that looks like it would work. Any suggestions most welcome.
posted by Megami to Health & Fitness (11 answers total) 21 users marked this as a favorite

You could do worse than the US Navy SEAL workout routines. They don't need a gym, so you can modify it for going to the gym and then keep it up post-gym.
posted by Houstonian at 4:20 AM on September 17, 2012

Jamie Eason's Livefit is 12 weeks - and includes no cardio in the first few weeks - but otherwise, I think it would match what you are looking for in terms of body definition.
posted by quodlibet at 4:44 AM on September 17, 2012 [1 favorite]

I would definitely recommend hitting up folks and FAQ's over at Reddit Fitness and Reddit LoseIt for some great knowledge and suggestions.

Be warned though: Reddit, as a whole, is a massive time and energy waster; don't be wandering around! :)
posted by THAT William Mize at 5:05 AM on September 17, 2012 [1 favorite]

Dang it. Lose It Corrected Link.
posted by THAT William Mize at 5:06 AM on September 17, 2012

I don't usually suggest it because it's not my style, but if you have a basic understanding of lifting, you would benefit from 8 weeks in a Cross-fit gym. You could do two-a-day workouts and achieve some pretty significant results in 8 weeks.

The challenge, though, is that you need to ensure your caloric intake increases dramatically, as you're already at a fairly high level of activity. If you add 1-1.5 hours of really tough lifting to 25k running, hiking and biking, you are liable to have a difficult time achieving physical results from a program like that. If what you really want is muscle definition, you may want to scale back the cardio for 8 weeks and focus on power lifts and Cross-fit style exercises.
posted by Rodrigo Lamaitre at 5:09 AM on September 17, 2012

I'm going to recommend Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe. If you do it, you should buy the book at some point, but you can get started with the wikia's description of the lifts and programming.

If you go on /r/fitness a good chunk of people will advise you to do either this or the very similar Stronglifts program.
posted by EtzHadaat at 5:19 AM on September 17, 2012 [2 favorites]

Also: Simple Fit if you prefer simple bodyweight exercises.
posted by THAT William Mize at 5:39 AM on September 17, 2012

This criticism of bootcamp-style fitness programs has become my go-to link. Note that I don't know anything about this guy except that in this one blog post he says reasonable things about safety during intense exercise programs. I'm posting it here because you specifically use the word "smash" and talk about really high intensity work.

In particular, if you go into Crossfit, pay attention to how you feel during their metabolic conditioning segments (metcons). The idea of a metcon is to do a circuit of high-volume, high-intensity exercises in order to condition the aerobic energy production pathways, which would be fine except they like to pick technical exercises (like, the snatch, I kid you not) and keep going past the point where fatigue has degraded their form to unsafe levels. It sounds like you're getting plenty of aerobic work already, so there's no need for you to risk injury this way.

By the way, just to expand on what Rodrigo Lamaitre said, since you mention that you're vegan and have a cup size (which I assume means female), you might want to consider protein and iron supplements. It's really easy for female vegans to be short on these two nutrients.
posted by d. z. wang at 6:04 AM on September 17, 2012 [1 favorite]

Remember diet is 80% of the battle. You cannot workout your way out of a bad diet.

If your diet contains high amounts of grains and carbohydrates you will likely be frustrated in your attempts to lose those saddle bags.
posted by incandissonance at 7:08 AM on September 17, 2012 [3 favorites]

It's not clear if you want to lose weight or increase fitness. You can slim down without any exercise.

I'd have to agree with incandissonance: cut out the carbs and diet is most of the battle. Intermittent fasting would be tough for you given the carb based diet, but take a look.

As for the fitness...in my experience a quick solution is a guaranteed injury. Find an experienced/qualified physical trainer, tell her/him what you want, and be patient.

Good luck.
posted by larry_darrell at 7:57 AM on September 17, 2012

What type of running are you doing? Changing up your running routine can help to burn the saddlebags. Throw in some farklets and hill repeats a couple of time a week.

I've used this 6-week strength and cardio plan several times to strengthen my core with good results. But, like others have said, diet plays a large part.
posted by bwilms at 10:21 AM on September 17, 2012

« Older Spending a month in the UK dur...   |  What are the main cities for c... Newer »