Help! I think I'm badly allergic to my new puppy.
New puppy! He is adorable and I love him to bits, even when he poops under the couch! (He was so proud of himself, omg.) But everywhere he touches my skin or licks me, I break out into hives.
It was a mild irritation at first, and one that went away when I washed with a mild soap. But it's getting worse and worse, and new hives are appearing on top of old ones. Washing the licky touchy parts isn't doing much and allergy pills don't seem to be having any effect.
I thought maybe it was from his food - I'm feeding him taste of the wild prairie puppy formula (he loves it and has no digestive issues with it) but I read the ingredients and there is some fish meal in it (I am pretty allergic to all seafood). Thus far some super unscientific experimentation (I taped some wet, mashed-up dog food to a hive-free section of the inside of my arm for 2 hours) has not shown any concrete proof that the food is the culprit.
I also thought it might be from ragweed on his coat, and he's been carefully (and hilariously) bathed with gentle puppy shampoo, and all his toys and blankies washed with hypoallergenic soap. So far no success.
Is there anything else I might be missing? Or am I just allergic to my new little huggy squeezy most precious puppy? Even as I write this the hives are spreading up my neck in a very alarming fashion, which is making me a little nervous. I no longer keep an epi-pen in the house because I don't make a habit of cuddling shellfish or bees, dammit.
(photo requirement fulfilled!
N.B. I have owned dogs before and never had an allergy issue with them, though I am allergic to cats (sneezing and eye issues and hives). No cats were present in the dog's household prior to me getting him.