Can We Move Kindle Content to a New Account?

My wife would like to de-register her Kindle from my account and move it to her own Amazon account that she has sole control of. Is it possible for us to move some (but not all) of the digital content to her new account?

We have two Kindles on one Amazon account. We have a bunch of content mixed up between us. We would like to move all of her stuff to the new account with the Kindle, but leave all of my stuff behind. Can this be done?
posted by Irontom to Computers & Internet (8 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

A friend just gave me his old Kindle with dozens of books on it. When I registered it under my account, all his old content remained on the Kindle (although I don't have access to it on my iPhone Kindle app).
posted by roger ackroyd at 2:19 PM on August 30, 2012 [1 favorite]

I don't think you can do this via the UI, but you can certainly contact Kindle Customer Service and ask them to do it for you.
posted by b1tr0t at 2:19 PM on August 30, 2012 [1 favorite]

I agree with roger ackroyd, when you de-register, any content downloaded to your Kindle stays there until you delete it. She can also de-register again and register with your account at any time, and effectively switch back and forth and download content from both accounts.
posted by chickenmagazine at 2:27 PM on August 30, 2012

While you're not planning on dying, the problem is similar to what's discussed in this article:

Who inherits your iTunes library?
Many of us will accumulate vast libraries of digital books and music over the course of our lifetimes. But when we die, our collections of words and music may expire with us.

Someone who owned 10,000 hardcover books and the same number of vinyl records could bequeath them to descendants, but legal experts say passing on iTunes and Kindle libraries would be much more complicated.
...

Apple and Amazon.com grant “nontransferable” rights to use content, so if you buy the complete works of the Beatles on iTunes, you cannot give the “White Album” to your son and “Abbey Road” to your daughter.

According to Amazon’s terms of use, “You do not acquire any ownership rights in the software or music content.” Apple limits the use of digital files to Apple devices used by the account holder.
posted by alms at 2:29 PM on August 30, 2012 [1 favorite]

The safest way to do this might be:

(1) Install kindle-for-pc and download the books to the computer.
(2) Install Calibre.
(3) Add DRM strippers to Calibre and setup.
(4) Drag .azw files from your "My Kindle Library" directory into Calibre

Congratulations! They are now DRM-free. Load them on any Kindle you want, registered however it pleases you to register it. Or convert to another format if you get a different ebook reader.

(You don't have to do this through kindle-for-pc but there are kindle-for-kindle formats out there that are newer than the strippers, so I've found it easier)
posted by ROU_Xenophobe at 3:26 PM on August 30, 2012 [9 favorites]

Amazon support is usually good. They will most likely have to refund the purchases and have you rebuy them for your new account. Contact CS to see if they will do this for you.
posted by wongcorgi at 3:51 PM on August 30, 2012

The simple way of doing this is to remove the DRM. Calibre is probably the most flexible way to deal with this, as ROU_Xenophobe says. Probably not legal in some juristricitons, but that's dumb.
posted by singingfish at 4:22 PM on August 30, 2012

Note that the above does not work with the Fire, if that is the Kindle you have.
posted by banshee at 9:57 AM on August 31, 2012

« Older I want to take advantage of th...   |  How do I keep a leatherette so... Newer »