How can I carpool over the GWB?

I want to take advantage of the carpool lane ($3.50 vs $12)on the GWB coming in from NJ. What's the best way to do this if I am forever alone, and not travelling during rush hour to pick up sluggers?
posted by MrMulan to Travel & Transportation around New York, NY (9 answers total)

Ride a motorcycle, which are often exempt from car pool laws.
posted by Cool Papa Bell at 2:28 PM on August 30, 2012

....as are 'green vehicles', or at least that has been my experience in ATL.

Don't be like the guy I used to see in the office parking lot, though, with a fully-dressed mannequin permanently riding shotgun. I don't know if he ever got busted, but I read a few articles in the paper where others did.
posted by jquinby at 2:47 PM on August 30, 2012

(just checked - HOV exemptions on green cars and hybrids are here - NY and NJ are towards the end of the list)
posted by jquinby at 2:48 PM on August 30, 2012

EZ-Pass for motorcycles on the GWB is $6.50/8.50. Can't use the carpool lane, which is only for cars with 3 people.

What's the best way to do this if I am forever alone, and not travelling during rush hour to pick up sluggers?

I'm sorry, but your question does not make sense. It's like asking, "I want to go on the amusement park ride that you have to be taller than 5 feet to ride. What is the best way to do this if I am 4 feet tall?"
posted by deanc at 2:51 PM on August 30, 2012 [7 favorites]

You need somebody who has approx. your commute. You need a carpool buddy. Surely there's somebody on Craigslist who needs semi-regular transit into the city.
posted by gauche at 3:18 PM on August 30, 2012 [1 favorite]

Question makes perfect sense. I second the matching commute; besides CL, there are carpool-promotion outfits that prolly know where to find ride-share boards.
posted by LonnieK at 3:55 PM on August 30, 2012

Yes, if he's asking for how to find other carpoolers, then the idea could be to sign up with a rideshare listing service or use craigslist to make arrangements ahead of time with someone you want to pick up.

More practical is picking up the bus from one of NJ's numerous park-and-ride lots.
posted by deanc at 4:05 PM on August 30, 2012

What are sluggers?
posted by Majorita at 7:37 PM on August 30, 2012

Slugging, also known as casual carpooling, is the practice of forming ad hoc, informal carpools for purposes of commuting,

So a slugger is someone who is picked up by a driver to meet HOV requirements, for the benefit of both so no money changes hands.

I've only slugged in Northern VA to DC where it's quite common. I think the hard part about GWB non rush is how will the people you drive get back to NJ (or the other way around)?
posted by skynxnex at 7:54 PM on August 30, 2012

« Older I'm meeting a network developm...   |  My wife would like to de-regis... Newer »