Flap and Jacket Copywriting
August 30, 2012 10:19 AM Subscribe
Many of you have worked with book jacket writing, according to answers to this question in 2007
. I have the perfect background to do this: years of editorial experience in book publishing and a fledgling copywriting career. What can you tell me about it now? And who should I approach for freelance work?
Note: I've already looked at the Literary Marketplace (LMP), and they're no help.
posted by Violet Blue to work & money (10 answers total) 4 users marked this as a favorite
- What's the most likely (generic) title of the contact person at a publishing house who'd be hiring jacket copy writers? (Director of Marketing? Marketing Manager? Something else?)
- Should I assume that only the really large houses would freelance jacket copy out?
- Any idea what the current hourly rate is?
- I've read that sometimes this work is sent out to agencies that hire freelance copywriters. Would these be PR agencies doing press kits and such? Or if not, who—and how would I contact them?
- Finally, since I don't (yet) have any jacket copy among my samples, do you think if I did a sample or two of my own on a random book that would suffice?