What's the best way to drive from San Francisco to Sacramento airport, with luggage of my own, meet a couple who are flying in, drop my car off at long-term parking, and pick up the rental car we'll share?
I live in San Francisco. A couple I know is flying into Sacramento airport in a few weeks. In a few weeks, we're going on a road trip (departing from Sacramento) in a rental car. My car is small and underpowered for driving in the mountains, hence the rental car.
Getting the right sequence of events is a challenge. I need to move myself and my luggage to Sacramento, meet the two people flying in, then we need to pick up the rental car (all three of us will be driving), and drop my car off at long-term parking.
I've reviewed the parking and rental car info at the Sacramento Airport website
. So, I understand the parking options, and the fact that the rental car companies have shuttles servicing the airport.
Here are the options I've thought of so far:
- When I get to the airport, take the car to long-term parking and leave my luggage in the trunk. Meet the flyers, get the rental car, then return to the long-term parking to get my luggage.
- Park my car in short-term parking. Meet the flyers, get the rental car, transfer luggage to the rental car, then move my car to long-term parking.
- Drive to the arrivals area, pick up the flyers and their luggage, drive to the car rental location (not sure if there would be a place to park there; I see the rental companies use shuttles from the airport), transfer luggage, then drop my car at long-term parking.
- Have the flyers pick up the rental car and meet me somewhere near the airport for lunch, transfer luggage, return my car to long-term parking.
- Find some other magical way to transport myself between San Francisco and Sacramento at the desired times for a reasonable amount of money, so I don't have to pay someone to take my car away from me for several days.
- Fly from San Francisco to Sacramento (not seriously considering this).
What would work best? Are there any details about the Sacramento airport that could influence this process?