A recommendation for a psychotherapist in DC?

I'm looking for a psychotherapist in Washington, D.C. and would appreciate a recommendation. I've been seeing a psychiatrist for a year, but don't feel that I'm making much progress with her. Though she's been helpful in certain ways, she jumps too quickly to (often-erroneous) conclusions, she puts too much weight on things I said months ago in passing and she doesn't inspire confidence in me that she sees a bigger picture or is connecting the dots in a way that I can't alone.

I'm going through a divorce after many years of marriage, and the last year has been a huge one for me in terms of change. I'd love to find a therapist (doesn't need at all to be an MD; current doc has determined that I don't need meds) who can help me through both the divorce issues and, more importantly, the work of exploring where I've been, where I am and where I want/need to go.

In the general Dupont Circle area would be preferable, but near a Metro is a must. If you have a recommendation, please email me at seekingshrink@gmail.com. Thank you.
posted by anonymous to Health & Fitness (3 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Have not gone to him myself, but recommended by a friend - Christopher Santangelo. Though you say you don't need meds, and he is a psychiatrist and psychopharmacologist, he may still work for you. If not, he might at least have a referral. He is in the Dupont Circle area.
posted by gudrun at 10:00 PM on August 28, 2012

I'm a psychotherapist working in DC, near the metro in Friendship Heights. You can read some of my comments about psychotherapy on MetaFilter, including one linked through my profile that talks about what I think is important for patients to do to get the most out of therapy. I am reluctant to link this account with my professional information, but my personal email is listed on my profile page. You could also get in touch with me, or get my information, through a mod, say Jessamyn, who could contact me on your behalf for my office number. (I would, of course, keep any inquiries confidential.)

Other recommendations:

Eileen Dombo, Phil Conklin, and Dick Boesch are all therapists I can recommend highly in Dupont. Dombo and Conklin are clinical social workers (PhD and MSW respectively), and Boesch is a psychologist (PhD).
posted by OmieWise at 4:59 AM on August 29, 2012

From a member who would like to remain anonymous:
"I'd definitely recommend Rachel Wernicke -- she's right at the tenleytown metro - so not dupont, but not far. Here's her website: http://www.rachelwernicke.com. I've been working with her for about 8 months and I think that we've made a lot of concrete progress. She incorporates a fair about of CBT, which I think is really helpful.

Also, I think Omni Wise's linked advice about therapy is right on, especially the part about being upfront about your goals, and when you think the progress is wandering."
posted by taz at 5:57 AM on August 29, 2012

« Older How do you use iPhoto on a reg...   |  Not sexual harassment but stil... Newer »