What should I do?
August 27, 2012 6:01 PM Subscribe
I've only been at this job a few weeks, but I'm worried it's going to interfere with my college work (it hasn't yet). Should I stay at it or no? How could I get out of it if I left?
posted by jumelle to work & money (8 answers total)
tl;dr: I've only been at this job a few weeks, but I'm worried it's going to interfere with my college work (it hasn't yet). Should I stay at it or no? How could I get out of it if I left?
I'm not really sure what to do. I applied to this store job when a lot of my summer work plans fell apart and wasn't expecting to get a callback. A week or so before the start of school, I got one, and I've been working there since.
This job is not terribly out of the way, but it's not like it's easy to get to either. There's a lot of bussing around involved. When I work my shift that goes to 11:30, there's probably no way for me to get home before 1am.
That's not horrible by itself, but like I said, I go to school. Also, the pay at this job is, to put it bluntly, terrible. The work study job that I have gives me the same amount, and is a lot less demanding. The boss there doesn't mind if I do homework on shift, and if I want to, I can choose the work and projects that I want to do (meaning there's a lot more potential there to tailor my resume for when I escape from school).
However, there's a downside to this position-- I can only work it so long I am an enrolled student. So this means no hours during winter breaks, or in the spring when I graduate. Furthermore, the amount of money that I make here might be limited to a certain amount (once I reach a certain earning point, I have to ask the school for permission to work more hours. This is not always approved).
Ideally, I would just keep both jobs, but I doubt that I could handle it on top of school. I have an incredibly nervous disposition and I feel it's pretty much inevitable that I would have some kind of breakdown if I tried following this route.
I like the store job because is my best bet for making money. However, I can't do other things on my time here and they're a lot stricter with scheduling. I'll be out late more with less time for school stuff-- I really don't want to wind up sacrificing all the work I've done so far for this really lame job, but...that hasn't even happened yet. School just started. I feel like I'm getting ahead of myself.
But I still feel like I have to make a decision now. I can't wait for everything to fall apart and then decide I want to quit. At the end of the day, this job is nothing special. I could probably get another one very similar to it, I'm thinking (Though maybe I'm wrong; ya never know). Aren't I being greedy by trying to hold onto this even though I think I can't handle it?
But then there's also the matter of my not having worked there for very long. It seems incredibly dickish to bail after a month, which is the greatest amount of time that I can realistically see myself juggling all of this. When I submitted my application and when I did my interview, I stated that I was looking for employment for "less than 90 days" but when I talk with my supervisors it seems like they were expecting me to be there for a lot longer than that. I already stated that I wasn't 100% sure I would stay that long, or longer (they said this was a possibility, meaning working the store job in the spring might be a possibility), but for whatever reason, they don't seem aware of that...and I've already gone through training and everything too. I have no idea of how to resign tactfully from this, or what would be a good time to do it. I was being weirdly impulsive when I took this job and I admit that this whole mess was probably extremely avoidable.
I don't want to quit this job but I feel that I'll be in trouble later on if I don't. The WORST that could happen to me personally is that I decimate my savings during the school year, while being being unable to replenish my funds due to lack of employment.
Of course, I can also quit the work study job instead. The benefits and cons of that have been listed above.
I am really not sure how to proceed.