Hobbies! Culture! Art! Beauty!
August 27, 2012 6:59 AM Subscribe
Developing cultural taste/becoming an expert at new hobbies... are there general principles? (snowflakes inside)
posted by 3491again to Society & Culture (8 answers total) 9 users marked this as a favorite
I'm interested in starting some new hobbies and also generally raising my level of cultural awareness about the finer things in life.
I've never had hobbies before and didn't grow up with a lot of cultural awareness of beauty or wonder. I have spent a lot of my time reading about psychology and personal development and relationship issues and... I'm kind of tired of it. I want to refocus my mind on the outside world!
I'd love to find out how people get up to speed in new hobbies/how to develop "taste" in areas about which I don't know very much. If you know a lot about these fields, perhaps you can give me some pointers on where to start. If there are some general principles for "getting up to speed" on a new area, let me know!
Areas in which I'd like to raise my cultural awareness:
- Art history
- Current scientific developments
- Learning how to distinguish between good and bad in food (coffee, tea, wine, cheese)
- Good current literature
- DIY electronics (Maker Faire type stuff)
- private pilot's license
* I'd love any podcasts/primers/Twitter feeds/blogs to read in these areas
* General tips on how to get started in learning new hobbies if you've never had hobbies before
* If you have made it a personal project to refocus on new and lovely things, please let me know!