My tongue feels burned and hurts whenever I swallow, what would help it heal?

What will help me heal a tongue "burned" by an old Cold-Eeze lozenge?

Two days ago, I stupidly tried to help along my head cold with a Cold-Eeze lozenge that was several years old. More stupidly, once it started burning I thought I was experiencing the "tingling feeling that lets you know it's working". Now my tongue (which looks fine in the mirror) feels like it has been burned in two areas, and it's become very difficult to eat, or just swallow my own saliva (which I forget is as autonomic as breathing).

Cloraseptic spray helps very briefly, and I will maybe purchase some canker sore medicine to number the area. Is there anything I can do to help it heal? Does anyone have an idea of why it burned my tongue? If it is due to something acidic, I would assume I could try to use a mild alkaline (edible) solution to help it heal, does that sound reasonable?

Thank you.
posted by alice_curiouse to Health & Fitness (5 answers total) 2 users marked this as a favorite

Fletcher's worked for me on a mystery burn/million little canker sores on my tongue. I believe it's the Alum that does the majority of the work, which you can get at the grocery. Plain yogurt also helped provide some temporary relief.
posted by it's a long way to south america at 12:46 PM on August 26, 2012

Amosan. Tastes like cr@p but heals all sorts of mouth issues. Personally I'd stop with the spray because it could be irritating.
posted by barnone at 12:54 PM on August 26, 2012 [1 favorite]

The inside of the mouth is the fastest healing tissue in the body. The surface sloughs off constantly and is replaced completely every couple of days. Nothing will speed this up, and anything you try can only irritate the area more. At most, suck on an ice cube. You'll be fine in a couple of days at most.
posted by KRS at 2:35 PM on August 26, 2012

Thank you so much.
posted by alice_curiouse at 3:04 PM on August 26, 2012

Aspergum is good for localized relief with mouth pain (though chewing can be difficult with a swollen tongue and may result in you biting your tongue or cheek). I find that things that induce saliva production reduce tongue and mouth pain - snacking works - don't go too long between meals. Try and avoid foods that encourage bacterial baddies like sugary stuff because secondary infections can take about two weeks to heal and tend to get deep and very painful.
posted by srboisvert at 10:55 AM on August 27, 2012

« Older How can I improve backyard fru...   |  I'm organising a "big&quo... Newer »