Help me buy a new desktop computer when I'm not really sure what I need.
I'm looking to get a new desktop computer after having a laptop for many years. I feel I am, in general, technologically adept but I'm feeling overwhelmed looking at all the specs that are offered. I know what all the different parts of a computer do and I generally know what specs would be considered “good,” but I'm not at all sure what actually meets my needs and what will give me the most bang for my buck.
1. One thing that I definitely want to be able to do is edit HD video. 1080p video tends to come out choppy and slow on my current setup, especially when trying to do any kind of editing. These would be home videos.
2. I don't do a lot of gaming on my computer, but if I was able to play some new-ish games, that would be a plus.
3. I want my new computer to be “good” for as long as possible, so I'm definitely not opposed to purchasing more than I need.
4. Any thoughts on the upcoming Windows 8 versus Windows 7 would be helpful. I know they are offering a cheap upgrade option for those buying Windows 7 now, so maybe it is not worth waiting?
5. I want to spend under $1000 (before monitor and peripherals). Closer to $800 would be a bonus.
So, given these parameters, what kind of advice can you give me? I'm in Canada and have looked at machines on Amazon.ca
and have also looked at configuring my own through Memory Express
, which is a bit more like a local computer shop. Any specifics you can give me would be awesome. When it comes to things like GB on video cards and how many cores and GHZ I need in my processor, I feel lost. Thanks!