What do I need to know for a short trip to Bogota, Colombia?
August 26, 2012 10:01 AM Subscribe
I'm traveling to Bogota, Colombia for work in a couple of weeks and am looking for advice and suggestions on several aspects of the trip.
posted by gingerbeer to Travel & Transportation around Bogota, Colombia (10 answers total) 7 users marked this as a favorite
I'm traveling for work, at the invitation of a group there, and they are arranging the hotel and travel logistics. I am hoping to squeeze in a day or two around the meeting to see more of the city than a meeting room, but I'm unlikely to be able to add enough time to get very far outside of Bogota. I speak the most minimal of Spanish. I've traveled internationally (and lived outside the US a couple of times), most recently to Beirut and Istanbul, but I've never been to South America.
Here are my questions:
1. If I only have a small amount of free time in Bogota (up to a day), what should I not miss? Museo del Oro? If anyone has ideas that include seeing some of the amazing birds of Colombia, please let me know (yes, it's killing me that I will be in one of the best birding countries in the world and not have time to travel to see many of them.)
2. How challenging is it going to be to eat a mostly pescetarian, lower carb diet while I'm there? I made it through the Middle East last year eating a more restricted carb diet, and I'm willing to loosen up my carb restrictions some, but not the no-red-meat part. Anything food-related that I shouldn't miss, or should miss?
3. Any insight on business dress code? I'll be meeting with government and NGO representatives. How closely does South American business dress for women map to North American? Should I be counting on wearing skirt suits? I understand that the temperature will be chilly there -- seems about the same climate as San Francisco in the summer, actually.
4. If I were to bring home a good bottle of rum, what should I be looking for and where? Types, brands, etc. Will I be able to get something at the duty free on the way home, or am I better off finding a bottle in Bogota and checking my bag on the way back?
5. Any other advice or insight? Any mefites in Bogota? I've read the Lonely Planet chapters on Bogota (and the handful of previous Asks), and I have co-workers who were just there for a related meeting, but I'm interested in hearing what the hivemind has to say.