Looking for bird guides to Asia.

I'm in Japan and looking for the best bird guides for the whole of South-East Asia.

I know that there's a number of bird guides for "South-East Asia" and for "Japan" specifically, but I'm finding it difficult to figure out which few I should purchase to start off with.

I'm pretty much looking at all of the area from Japan, over to Singapore, down to Indonesia, and over to Guam. If this means eventually buying several bird guides, I'm more than fine with it. I just don't want to end up buying several bird guides for, let's say, Guam specifically due to trial and error.

I'm used to being able to buy "The Bird Guide to North America" full stop, so finding the smallest number of the best guides for the Asian islands is more important than the type of guide (photography vs. pictures for example).

posted by DisreputableDog to Sports, Hobbies, & Recreation (2 answers total) 1 user marked this as a favorite

A Photographic Guide to the Birds of Japan and North-East Asia (out of print, but you could try Abebooks)

A Field Guide to the Birds of South-East Asia

Found here.
posted by KokuRyu at 8:27 AM on August 25, 2012

Oh yeah, Japan is generally regarded as being part of northeast Asia, rather than southeast Asia. However there are bird migrations from the south to Japan and back...
posted by KokuRyu at 8:51 AM on August 25, 2012

« Older Has anyone heard of an alcohol...   |  My boyfriend and I want to mov... Newer »