desperately seeking shirtdress

I am looking for a very specific type of item: a shirt dress (or shirtwaist dress, even) in navy blue, preferably with long sleeves (though negotiable here) in a U.S. women's 16 or 18. Have you seen such a thing? Help. I'd like to spend under $200.
posted by liketitanic to Clothing, Beauty, & Fashion (17 answers total) 6 users marked this as a favorite

Is denim OK? If so, there's this one in indigo, on sale for $106.
posted by scody at 4:12 PM on August 24, 2012

Check The Gap! I can't find it online but a month or two ago, they had one for $60. This is the dress, but it comes in dark blue in the store. The XL should be a 16 or close to it.
posted by bensherman at 4:18 PM on August 24, 2012

Eliza Parker has the Vineyard dress in navy for $148. I can barely see the details on that dress on my computer, so it might help to look at the same dress in a lighter color.

I ordered a dress from her a few years ago, and it is very nicely made.
posted by Squeak Attack at 4:20 PM on August 24, 2012 [1 favorite]

Wow, this is tougher than I thought it would be. How about this short-sleeved at Avenue. (Although I like this one in Royal Blue better)
posted by saffry at 4:22 PM on August 24, 2012

Sleveless, in eyelet.

3/4 sleeve
posted by mollymayhem at 4:24 PM on August 24, 2012

I'm finding some near-misses. In general the LL Bean/Land's End type places are having a lot of shirtdresses these days. They both seem to have chambray (denim look) and black, but not much navy.

Land's End sleeveless shirtdress in navy, on sale in 16.

LL Bean Signature has two longsleeved in black or black-pattern: Here's a L.L. Bean long-sleeved shirtdress with white dot pattern, available in 16 and 18. Also a L.L.Bean long-sleeved belted shirtdress, available in 16

Land's End has a "bib" shirtdress, 3/4 sleeve, in chambray, in 16 and 18.
posted by LobsterMitten at 4:25 PM on August 24, 2012

Also Modcloth has a few, which are all retro-ish, short sleeved, and on the short side. (If these appeal, they have a few more that are in this vein, search for size 16 and "shirtdress"):
Made in the Shade dress
About the artist dress
posted by LobsterMitten at 4:39 PM on August 24, 2012

Shopstyle has a few choices.
posted by Ideefixe at 4:56 PM on August 24, 2012

Is "Indigo Blue" dark enough? This one from Talbots hits most of your criteria -- available in 16/18, long sleeves (that roll & button up to elbow length), just not quite navy.
posted by brainmouse at 5:10 PM on August 24, 2012

These Two from Anne Klein are also close, but are only up to 16 (the fit guide says XL corresponds to 16).
posted by brainmouse at 5:15 PM on August 24, 2012

Decent Exposures will make one to measure in a range of lengths and styles and in Navy blue for $50-75.

(Ignore the picture of the yelling woman in the velour dress. I have no idea either. )
posted by Wylla at 5:45 PM on August 24, 2012

Boden has one in Ink, but it's on clearance.
posted by hooray at 6:01 PM on August 24, 2012 [1 favorite]

I own the Land's End version of this. It's one of my favorite dresses - a great fabric with some give, the color seems fadeless after a year. I'm an 18. Check it out!
posted by Miko at 8:33 PM on August 24, 2012

I should add, I have several Decent Exposures shirt dresses, and all are flattering, fit well and are super durable and well made. Their catalog is full of super-frumpy pictures, and I would be careful when choosing their bras (which don't seem to be made to fit like regular bras), but every item of clothing I've ever gotten from them is fab and their customer service is really good.
posted by Wylla at 2:41 AM on August 25, 2012

These are all excellent suggestions. Probably not denim, no. (This is for a job interview.)
posted by liketitanic at 5:20 AM on August 25, 2012

Try J.C. Penney. (Sorry no link, I am on my phone).
posted by windykites at 7:19 AM on August 25, 2012

The land's end sleeveless shirt dress would totally work with a nice cardigan to cover the shoulders. I thought brooks brothers would have something but they just have this patterned one.
posted by belau at 7:42 AM on August 25, 2012

« Older If you've used a meal-planning...   |  I know you're not my mechanic,... Newer »