How to get sense of humour back?
August 23, 2012 8:37 PM Subscribe
I feel like I am losing my sense of humour and am Lady Serious so much of the time. How do I get it back?
posted by scuza to health & fitness (15 answers total) 21 users marked this as a favorite
Without going into too much detail:
1. Friends are mostly partnered up and popping out babies (love babies) and preoccupied with baby development (great, cute, love it, maybe not 24/7 though). Don't get to see friends as much, no more goofing off regularly.
2. Work life is not amazing, slightly blue about that, but working hard to make it better. Not much potential for funny. Am a freelancer so it's not like I have a regular work crew.
3. Had life upheaval involving breakup (amicable) with partner of over 10years. He was hilarious, we would goof off like crazy, until times got hard and we called it quits. Miss that part of us terribly.
4. New partner who is awesome, but not naturally a riffer or a goofer. He's picking things up slowly though, and is a real cool dude, ambitious and driven and sweet. He doesn't pun. He just doesn't make me laugh like old partner did, but people are always going to be different, no? And building up that kind of rapport takes, well, 10 years.
5. Am a bit depressed, unfortunately back on medication for it for the past 6weeks, still slightly blue but still feel grateful for the things that are good. I just can't laugh with the wild abandon I once did. I do still find things funny and I can laugh. I just miss capital L laughter, I miss it, I miss it.
Once upon a time I was the funny one and I feel like I've lost that part of me. What options do I have for getting it back? I'm much more in touch with other things about myself that I'm grateful for, thanks in part to an excellent therapist, but the result overall is that I feel a lot more grave about things, life, just STUFF.
Thank you. I'm ready for tough love but please don't pile on me.